More details are also provided under the Types of spiritual experience listed under observations.
The kundalini experience describes a form of energy that travels from the base of the spine to the base of the skull and the crown of the head which provides, of itself, a spiritual experience.
It is invoked using very specific ‘centres’ within the body - the Muladhara or lowest chakra - and has some quite specific effects.
Its principal effect - figuratively speaking and in eastern terminology - is a form of final purification of the meridians, nadis and functions of the body – the flushing through almost like one flushes through the streams, springs and branches of a river to remove impurities to clear a channel for the flood of waters that come with the opening of the lock gates of the ‘lower centre’ and the collapse of the walls of the dam that holds these energies enclosed. There is a rush of energy that rises through the central channels located near the spine up to the Sahastrara chakra, where the door to the higher spirit is figuratively opened.
Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Chi Kung – Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming
Imagine that the Chi in your body is like water running through a network of many rivers (primary channels) and streams (small chi channels) to nourish your body. In order to keep the water running smoothly, the rivers and streams must be clear and without stagnation. You need to ensure that there is plenty of water so that the flow will be continuous and smooth. This requires that the reservoirs which store and regulate the flow in the rivers and streams be kept full.
What happens is that the door to the composer is opened up permanently. This is not the experience of ecstasy, nirvana, or annihilation , but it is one of the key experiences on the way to these happening. It is the preliminary stage leading to these last three major steps on the spiritual path.
- Ecstasy - the communication channels are opened to the composer. In this experience we ‘meet’ our composer, and higher spirit but there is no merge. This experience may be very intense or in those who have undergone many previous stages it may be almost unnoticeable. The start of the enlightenment process
- Moksha and nirvana – also called in mystic Christianity ‘Rapture’. You merge with your composer. This is often referred to as the ‘chemical wedding’, the will remains the will and the composer remains the composer, but you in effect act in tandem. In this experience your personality is not extinguished – ‘you’ are still you. An advanced stage of enlightenment
- Annihilation – the personality is annihilated and ‘you’ as a personality cease to exist. The higher spirit then takes over, but in effect you become ‘divine’ – a sort of ‘god’ completely in touch with the spiritual world at all its levels.
You can achieve a very gradual awakening using other techniques, so the kundalini experience is not an entirely obligatory stage on the spiritual path. It may never be experienced, but the very gradual purification and ‘flushing out’ may still be in process without the rather alarming effects from this approach.
The Serpent power – Arthur Avalon [Sir John Woodroffe]
The yogis say that the piercing of the Brahma granthi or ‘knot’ sometime involves considerable pain, physical disorder and even disease, …. The Indian who practises this or any other kind of spiritual Yoga does so not on account of a curious interest in occultism or with a desire to gain ‘astral' or similar experiences. .. His attitude in this, as in all other matters, is essentially a religious one, based on a firm faith in Brahman and inspired by a desire for union with It which is Liberation
Kundalini and the spiritual path
The kundalini experience usually comes after purification and learning have been completed. There is a cycling that takes place at this stage between contact with the ‘Old Man’ and the purification, so that the contact made gradually becomes more ‘solid’ and the experience is not painful. In effect, the spirit world gradually helps you remove all the figurative ‘blockages’ in your learnt behaviour and memory in a process which is gradual – as long as you know what is happening. You figuratively cycle round Day 5 and Day 6 until all the blockages to progress are removed. Then once all the blockages have gone, the kundalini experience can be expected.
Power. Power to do good and power to perpetrate great wrong.
I’m sure we prefer to think of the ones gifted with this experience as only being those who the spirit world has deemed suitable and ‘good’ but as the allegory Star Wars showed only too well, good can be perverted to do evil and become evil of great power.
The power of healing can become the power to make ill. The power of prophecy to help can be the power of prophecy to cause ill. The power to create can also become the power to destroy. The power of wisdom can be corrupted so that the wisdom is corrupted and turned upon itself.
We are a complete human being package. The capability to perform evil acts exists in us all. It is only by our nature and our will that we avoid the dark side being released. As Star Wars showed, it takes only a few events and what could have been good turns on itself and joins the dark side.
Instead of a magician or a magi we get a sorceror. Instead of an innocent - the Fool - we get a trickster.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A P Elkin - Aboriginal men of high degree - The Bandjelang clever man
- A P Elkin - Aboriginal men of high degree - Throwing him into sky-land
- Acteon and Artemis
- Agrippa, Heinrich Cornelius - Sacramentum matrimonii antiquissimum est - 02
- Agrippa, Heinrich Cornelius - The Philosophy of Natural Magic – Chapter 05
- Athanasius Kircher - Ars Magna Lucis 1665
- Aurora Consurgens - 03 An allegory of disorder
- AwoFa'lokun Fatunmbi - Making rain and lightning
- Blake, William - And Elohim created Adam
- Brian Boru's harp
- Bronte, Emily - The Philosopher - I saw a spirit, standing
- Bruno, Giordano – Cause, principle and unity - 05 The Third Dialogue
- Bruno, Giordano – On Magic - The Music of the Spheres
- Chichen Itza - Mayan - The Great Ball Court
- Cirlot on snakes and serpents
- Cirlot on the caduceus
- Count of St Germain - Covered in diamonds
- Count of St Germain - Philospher's stone
- David Lewis-Williams - the Xam and the Unmoving mover
- David-Neel, Alexandra - Kundalini and the symbolism of 'breathing'
- Deep light and the great retruthing – Whitehawk
- Dr Alberto Villoldo - Moses's staff
- Dr L Sannella - Quaumaneq
- Dr. Tan Kheng Khoo
- Duchamp, Marcel - Fountain
- Eleusinian Mysteries - Thesmophoria - 01 Introduction
- Evelyn Lip - Chinese Geomancy
- Flamel, Nicolas - Uraltes chymisches Werk A Eleazar 1760 5th illustr.
- Fort, Charles - The Book of the Damned - Falls of inscribed stones
- General Horng Yih - Song Shaw Shing
- Grant Gronewald - HTML flowers - Anywhere I lay my head
- Hennell, Thomas - Great serpents
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - On the day of parting
- Intelligences - PLANETS VENUS Ashtar and Ishtar
- Jabir ibn Hayyan – Henry Corbin – The science of the balance
- Jason, medea and the teeth of the Dragon
- Kahuna - Lomilomi and Kundalini
- Kahuna - Tattoos of Kundalini Energy
- Kaushitaki Upanishad
- Klimt - Hygieia
- Krishna, Gopi - kundalini - need to know
- Krishna, Gopi - the importance of diet
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience - inability to sleep
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience No 1
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience No 2
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience No 2 - the after effects
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience No 3 - the after effects
- Krishna, Gopi - the kundalini experience No 6
- M A Czaplicka - Siberian shaman’s dress
- Maier, Michael - Atalanta fugiens 1618
- Michelangelo - 1508 Sistine Chapel - 10 The Four Pendentives 1
- Mircea Eliade - On Sacred springs
- Mircea Eliade - On Shamans and bones
- Mircea Eliade - The Maypole and the Sweep
- Moreau - Jason 1865
- Morrells, Luce and painting the large black bird
- Mutus Liber 08
- Ogotemmeli - Serpents and wavy lines
- Parmenides - On Nature - 12 to 19
- Paul Devereux - Num and shape shifting
- Paul Devereux - The Giraffe Dance, Drum Dance and Trees Dance
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Dream, 30th September 1954
- Picts – Type of experience - Double or twisted snakes [kundalini]
- Picts – Type of experience - Snake and Straight rod [Healing]
- Picts – Type of experience - Snake and T [kundalini failed]
- Popol Vuh Museum - Guatemala city - 'Priest'
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – Amazonian Cosmos - Drums
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – The Tukano Indians - The Hearth
- Richard Katz - Kung healer
- Rig veda - Ploughs, Yokes and Fountains
- Rig veda - Soma
- Rig veda - Soma
- Ripley, Sir George - Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum London 1652
- Rolle, Richard - Incendium Amoris - Ecstasy, song and fervour!
- Rosary of the Philosophers - 01 The Fountain
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Golden Water 1858
- Russell, George William - Candle of Vision
- Saint-Yves d’Alveydre – The Archeometer – Revelation 02
- Samavedas – Book 08 Chapter 03, IX Asvins
- Sarada-Tilaka, xxxv, 70
- Shah, Idries - The Sufis - QaLB
- Shah, Idries – The Sufis - QSS and Alif Ba Lam
- Shinto kundalini figurine
- Simon, Paul - Hearts and bones
- Simon, Paul - Song about the Moon
- Six Dharmas of Nāropa - 05 Stong-ra
- Six Dharmas of Nāropa - 06 Gtummo - Meditation on the Three Pillars
- Six Dharmas of Nāropa - 07 Gtummo - The Practice of Visualizing Words
- Six Dharmas of Nāropa - 08 Gtummo - The Practice of Vase-Breathing
- Six Dharmas of Nāropa - 09 Gtummo - The entering, remaining, and dissolving process
- Soustelle - Aztecs and Mexica - Rebirth misunderstood
- Stolz von Stolzenberg, Daniel - Viridarium chemicum 1624
- Stolz von Stolzenberg, Daniel - Viridarium chemicum 1624
- Tabula Smaragdina - Jabir ibn Hayyan translation
- The Homeric Hymn to Demeter - 01
- The Knights Templar - Royston Cave
- The Means of achieving spiritual experience - Shaivism – 01 Sexual techniques – Kundalini yoga
- The Serpent power – Arthur Avalon
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 05 - 1 Wool and Water
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 3 Falling off
- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Achieving Buddhahood - Part 1
- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Achieving Buddhahood - Part 3
- Vatican - St Peters square
- Watson, Lyall - Moses in the bulrushes
- Yeats, W B - Anima Hominis - The Path of the Sun
- Zoroastrian - Symbols and concepts - Water 01
- Zoroastrian - Symbols and concepts - Water 02
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Vision of Zosimos - 01
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Vision of Zosimos - 07