An hallucination in which more than one person is able to 'see' or 'hear' the same thing. As each person will only be able to describe or indicate a few details given that hallucinations tend to be short lived, it will not ever be possible to verify whether anyone is seeing or hearing exactly the same thing, but as long as approximate details are the same, then this category can be used.
Voices may be easier to match than music, if they are of known people, as such unless the people are musically inclined and able to reproduce what has been heard, it is unlikely that shared hallucinations of music can be approximately verified. As we have no way of describing smells, a shared hallucination of a smell is only possible at a very crude level. It is known already that apparent temperature drops in a room and 'winds' where there is no wind can be experienced on a shared basis.
As none of us actually experiences Noumenal Reality, in many senses the Phenomenal Reality we do experience is a constant form of hallucination and a mass shared hallucination at that. Those who study this area, however, tend to focus on very unusual occurrences.
One of the more extraordinary shared hallucinations [in the sense of a mass sharing of Phenomenal Reality in which consensus that it did happen was obtained] is that of the Miracle of the Sun on October 13, 1917. So extraordinary was it that even Richard Dawkins wrote of it in the God Delusion. He says
But they did. Scottish philosopher David Hume once wrote, “No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish.” Hume’s test applied to Fatima would be to observe that it is very improbable that 70,000 people could simultaneously collude in a mass lie. Thus whatever they 'saw' happened within their own Phenomenal Realities. We then have to decide how it happened - inter-composer communication - a temporary glitch in the 'software' that controls Noumenal Reality..... Lots of possibilities. But 70,000 people is probably the largest shared hallucination we have on the site.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A collective hallucination - Witnessing the apparition [out of body state] of the lady who was dying
- A dead father makes noises in the bed curtains - 'Papa, if that's you, speak or appear to us.' The noise ceased at once.
- A death in Egypt and a visit to the children in England
- An hallucination of a man and his faithful dog
- Bayless, Raymond - A shared hallucination, Raymond and his brother both hear the voice
- Bayless, Raymond - The whispering voices of the Navajo reservation near Tuba City, a shared hallucination
- Black Sabbath – The ghosts of Compton House
- Bouissou, Madame Michael - A shared hallucination of celestial choirs - 'How beautiful those voices were'
- Canon Bourne’s two daughters and his coachman – a joint hallucination of an accident of their father
- Ernesto Bozzano, Professor - The parapsychological manifestations of animals – 16 The dog "Moustache and seven other people see a ghost
- Ernesto Bozzano, Professor - The parapsychological manifestations of animals – 18 Dr. Woetzel and his dog see his wife’s ghost
- Ernesto Bozzano, Professor - The parapsychological manifestations of animals – 46 The sad tale of Rover, the border collie
- Fleetwood Mac - An early experience of an apparition on the road
- Hazel Cornwell - His face was beautiful, all his lines had gone
- He saw a "cosmic jellyfish" hanging above his bed
- I could see a shadow of a baby's face looking through the window
- Laubscher, B J F - A huge black dog appeared amongst them – but it was just a shared hallucination
- Madame d’Esperance - Shadow Land - 18 The appearance of a disembodied man’s face
- MDMA shared hallucination
- Monsieur X and Madame Y from Brussels share a dream
- Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Pye and the hotel that wasn’t there – a joint hallucination from wishful thinking
- Mr. David Gow, the editor of Light, was impressed by the observational capacity of all the eight witnesses, who said they had seen their mother’s soul leave her dying body
- Mrs Horne – Infant Jamie and his Mother hear the celestial music of the departing spirit
- Our piano played by itself - We live in the countryside around Neuchâtel, and I assure you that we are not neurotics here
- Paul Screeton - Two of us saw a smoky, white phantom shape
- Phantasms of the Living - Present in spirit in the front bedroom on the second floor of a house situated at 22 Hogarth Road, Kensington
- Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research - Volume vi - A shared hallucination
- Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research volume vi - A shared message
- Quakers - From Death Bed Visions - A Quaker death
- Ralph Shirley - The Mystery of the Human Double – The dream a clergyman has at midday is acted out at home to his wife and servant
- Saint Augustine - Confessions - The joint vision with his dying mother
- Shared death vision
- Sophia Elizabeth De Morgan – A shared hallucination of three heads beside the preacher
- Szalay, Attila - I was lying in bed when I heard a series of flutelike sounds
- The harvesters of Bosset, in the canton of Laforce