Symbols - What does heaven look like
See also chess.
The knight takes on the symbolism of the hero in that the person is an active traveller on the spiritual path. A knight on a horse also benefits from the symbolism of the horse as a means of transport. There is the implied need for considerable physical activity in the exploits of the knight, the need to defend [shield] and if need be attack [sword] to promote and defend what is ‘good’ and to achieve the challenge that he has taken on.
Thus the challenge is generally not an intellectual one – this tends to be the role of the hermit – but as a warrior and a guardian of Treasure. There is also an implied role in the defending of Kings and Queens and the attack of aggressive forces that may aim to remove the King or Queen to which he is affiliated.
This is a ‘real world’ [physical] role with a spiritual aspect to it. The knight exists with different names in numerous cultures. In the martial arts cultures of the east these are the warriors – samurai and ninja/ninpo. Thus all knights/warriors are said to have weapons, but these are again symbolic potentialities rather than physical things.
The knight is actually a fairly low rank fighter within the symbolic feudal hierarchy.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Bowie, David - 1984 Loving the Alien #019609
- Braveheart - Pencil case soldier and YORK #004529
- Brittany - Ys #006687
- Burne-Jones, Edward - Perseus and Andromeda #001001
- Burne-Jones, Edward - King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid #001690
- Böcklin, Arnold - Roger and Angélique 1874 #024389
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Second Day #010651
- Dr T Levin - Reciting the manas #003266
- Dürer, Albrecht - Symbolism - Knight, Death, and the Devil #020970
- Dürer, Albrecht - Symbolism - The small horse #020959
- George Eliot - Felix Holt #010300
- Hadewijch - A fine exterior, fine garments And fine language adorn the knight #003204
- Healer H - A ring of daisies forming a daisy chain #000854
- Healer H - An enormous caterpillar unusually wide #000874
- Healer H - The lights upon them is what keeps them connected #000876
- Heine, Heinrich - Oft he sat in the gloomiest corner at home #002607
- Hennell, Thomas - Sees flying women and knights from the tomb #001600
- Jones, Sir William - Caissa #005886
- Klimt - Knight #010273
- Maeterlinck, Maurice - Concerning the spiritual in art - Wassily Kandinsky 2 #003539
- Malevich, Kazimir - Soldier #007714
- Minchiate and Visconti-Sforza - 7 - The Chariot #007518
- Moody Blues - Knights in White Satin #012022
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Dreams of Rings, Circles, Eggs and Stars #019746
- Poe, Edgar Allen - Eldorado #005045
- Prasna Upanishad #007201
- Redon, Odilon - Mystic series 5 #008035
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – The roles #014099
- Shih Ching - In the wilds there is a dead doe #013848
- Taq Bostan 02 #022456
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Lady of Shallott #004602
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Morte d'Arthur - Then loudly cried the bold Sir Belvedere #013886
- The Book of Taliesin - Kanu y Med - Llyfr Taliesin XIX #013937
- The Manuals of Taoist Sexual Practise – Talk on Supreme Guidance for the World 12 #017864
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 11 #016014
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 01 - 2 Making memorandums #000873
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 02 - 4 Marking out the route #007341
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 1 It's my own invention #001975
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 2 The White Knight and the beehive #006438
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 4 Both using the same helmet #000730
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 5 Head downwards #010356
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 8 Farewell to the Knight #000855