Symbols - What does heaven look like
Birdsong is more correctly a concept rather than a symbol, and is one type of Hearing sounds and music. It is however mentionned in many poems and stories, as such it is helpful to know that to those who wrote the stories this can be a real phenomenon not a symbol.
There is some bird-song that is so unearthly it sends shivers down your back. It often accompanies visions or dreams and was at one time said to be the angels singing – and indeed that is exactly what it sounds like. I have no explanation for this other than perhaps it is the angels singing!
The myth of the siren seems to have been derived from this form of input.
Charles François Jalabert - Nymphs Listening to the Songs of Orpheus
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Bird Chirping Overtones DiPT & Cannabis by Flying Hamster
- Bird shamans and celestial messages
- Blithe spirit - The exit of the giants August 2015
- Braveheart - Forest of bright birds
- Cardiac arrest
- Chaim Vital - Sha'ar Ruach ha-Kodesh – On Isaac Luria’s abilities
- Cirlot on sirens
- Crookes, Sir William - Notes of an Enquiry into the Phenomena called Spiritual during the Years 1870-73 - 06
- Desnos, Robert - Ring of stars
- Dr. J. Garth Wilkinson - Evenings with Mr. Home and the Spirits 01
- Engel, C - Musical Myths and Facts - Birdsong
- Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon
- Fleetwood Mac - Songbird
- George Harrison - Mystical One
- Grimble, Sir Arthur - And the Island of Whistling Spirits
- Hearing birdsong was like sleeping in an aviary
- Homer - The Odyssey - The Sirens
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Nymphs and the Songlines
- Joan Baez - Dream Song
- Lalla - Royal swan, what happened to your beautiful voice?
- Messing, Wolf - The power of suggestion in hypnotism – The count who thought that pigeons were building a nest inside his head
- Mircea Eliade - On Bird song as spell
- Morrells, Luce and an apocalyptic dream
- Morrells, Luce and Shot!
- Poetic Edda - The Song of Rig [extract]
- Rumi - Rubaiyat - The birds have flown to freedom
- Saadi - The Gulistan of Sa‘di – 21 from The Morals of Dervishes
- Stainton-Moses, William - Spirit Identity - THE WHISTLING SPIRITS OF THE DEAD
- The room was suddenly filled with the sound of on organ playing and voices singing a hymn
- Viscount Adare - Experiences in Spiritualism with Mr D D Home – 24 We heard Home go into the next room, heard the window thrown up, and presently Home appeared standing upright outside our window
- Viscount Adare - Experiences in Spiritualism with Mr D D Home – 42 We all saw him approaching, raised off the ground, for he floated, by, at a height which carried him over the broken wall