Category: Natural chemicals
Introduction and description
β-Sitosterol is one of several phytosterols (plant sterols) with chemical structures similar to that of cholesterol. Sitosterols are white, waxy powders with a characteristic odour. They are hydrophobic [tending to repel or fail to mix with water ] and soluble in alcohols.
Beta sitosterol is widely distributed in the plant kingdom and found in plants such as Nigella sativa, Serenoa repens (saw palmetto), Pygeum africanum, sea-buckthorn, wolfberries, Mirabilis jalapa, Cannabis sativa, Urtica dioica, and Wrightia tinctoria. It is found in pecans, avocados, Cucurbita pepo (pumpkin seeds), cashew fruit, rice bran, wheat germ, corn oils, soybeans and dandelion coffee.
High levels of β-sitosterol concentrations in blood have been correlated with increased severity of heart disease in men having previously suffered from heart attacks. Now we could make the mistake here, of course, of doing like many a researcher before us and assuming β-sitosterol was the cause. But nothing could be further from the truth.
Just like cholesterol, it is there as a repair substance and is a symptom not a cause. Indeed high levels of β-sitosterol after a heart attack, might be better seen as good news – the body is attempting to repair itself.
- A multicentric, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial of beta-sitosterol (phytosterol) for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. German BPH-Phyto Study group 016967
- Chemical constituents from flos Sesamum indicum L 021311
- Dr Duke's list of Chemicals in Citrus sinensis - Orange 020821
- Dr Duke's list of Chemicals in Persea americana MILLER (Lauraceae) -- Avocado 012983
- Dr Duke's list of Chemicals, Biological Activities and References in: Symphytum officinale L. (Boraginaceae) -- Comfrey 018926
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Azadirachta indica A -- Neem 018319
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Cucurbita pepo L. (Cucurbitaceae) -- Zucchini 027494
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Phellodendron amurense -- Amur Cork Tree, Huang Bai, Huang Po, Po Mu 018321
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Senna alata (L.) ROXB. (Fabaceae) -- Ringworm Bush 021419
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals in Schisandra chinensis (Schisandraceae) - Magnolia Vine; Wu Wei Zi; Wu Wei Zu; Five-Flavor-Fruit; Schizandra; Chinese Magnolia Vine 020876
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals in Tabebuia heptaphylla (Bignoniaceae) 020892
- Dr Duke’s list of Chemicals with Candidicide Activity 021075
- Dr. Duke's list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Beta vulgaris subsp. subsp. vulgaris (Chenopodiaceae) -- Beet, Beetroot, Garden Beet, Sugar Beet 021348