A succubus is a female supernatural entity that appears in dreams and takes the form of a human woman in order to seduce men, and as the academic definition of this goes “usually through sexual activity”.
The male counterpart is the incubus.
The word 'haggard' comes from this concept, as the word was originally 'Hag-rid' or being ridden by the Hag. it presumably describes the state the man is in after it has happened. I've seen many men in this state myself .... but not necessarily because of me. The word nightmare also has similar origins and comes from the Anglo Saxon word 'mare' or 'crusher - hence nightmare, something that crushes you in the night
“Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or even death”. Although there don’t seem to be many cases of this on PubMed. There seem to be far more excited males on Youtube all claiming it happened to them.
According to the Malleus Maleficarum, or "Witches' Hammer", written by Heinrich Kramer (Institoris) in 1486, a succubus “collects semen from the men she seduces, passes it to the incubi, who then use the semen to impregnate human females”, thus giving the established Churches a reason to hound illegitimate children and call them the children of the devil, whilst diverting attention from the priest who may have been responsible in the first place [sorry a bit of cynicism here].
In Arabian mythology, the qarînah (قرينة) is a spirit similar to the succubus, “with origins possibly in ancient Egyptian religion or in the animistic beliefs of pre-Islamic Arabia”. A qarînah "sleeps with the person and has relations during sleep as is known by the dreams."
Wikipedia “In the field of medicine, there is some belief that the stories relating to encounters with succubi can be ascribed to the condition known as sleep paralysis. It is therefore suggested that historical accounts of people experiencing encounters with succubi may rather have been symptoms of sleep paralysis, with the hallucination of the said creatures coming from their contemporary culture”.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A P Elkin - Aboriginal men of high degree - Webb and Warner 2
- Borri, Giuseppe Francesco - Between Crucibles and Salamanders - Massimo Marra
- Chrysostom John - Murders a princess
- Demonic creatures rapidly running over me in an overwhelming stampede
- Demonic creatures running over him
- Dr David Hufford – The Old Hag, Incubus, Succubus, Alien Abductions and Sleep Paralysis
- Dr. Sollier - Bulletin de l'institut Général Psychologique – The Doppelganger of a Morphine addict
- Dulac, Edmond - And the succubus
- Eighty three Irish students go out of body
- Gershom Scholem – On the Kabbalah and its symbolism - Succubi and incubi
- Goblins, vampires and sexual assault
- Goldi shaman - Siberian Shamanism - The spirit helper
- Hodler, Ferdinand - The Night
- I dream I'm being raped, by people I know or by aliens
- I would awake to a pressure on my chest
- Lethbridge, T C - The Power of the Pendulum – An explanation for the weight of the incubus and succubus
- Lhermitte, Professor Jean - Diabolical Possession, True and False – Sorcerors and magicians
- Lhermitte, Professor Jean - Visual Hallucination of The Self – 06 Very often her body halved itself
- Mircea Eliade - Teleut shamans - And the spirit wife
- Mircea Eliade – The Goldi shaman and the Succubus
- Oliver Sacks - Christina sees a wild eyed man
- Oliver Sacks - Sex with apparitions
- Paracelsus - extract from Scritti alchemici e magici
- Professor David H Hufford and the Sitting ghost
- Scotland, Barra - The Testimony of Murdoch MacLean
- Shaunna is sexually assaulted by a spirit and wants it to stop
- SPIRIT POSSESSION IN RAJASTHAN - Jeffrey G. Snodgrass 04
- The other night, I dreamed of a weasel with one eye biting my arms
- The Tiger pulled down her pants
- Weir, Major Thomas - 1648, Edinburgh, Scotland – Two Flights aboard a fiery coach
- Yeats, Georgie - A Vision - 2 Meditation