Category: Medicines - plant based
Introduction and description
Calathea allouia, also known as leren, is a plant in the arrowroot family, native to northern South America and the Caribbean.
It is considered native to Cuba, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, the Lesser Antilles, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Brazil. It is reportedly naturalized in Jamaica.
Leren is grown as a minor root crop in tropical regions across the world.
Another name for the plant is Goeppertia allouia (Aubl.) Borchs. & S.Suárez, Syst. Bot. 37: 629 (2012). It belongs to the family Marantaceae.
- Dr Duke's list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Calathea allouia (AUBL.) LINDL. (Marantaceae) -- Leren, Lleren 019358
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing ARGININE 017958
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing GLYCINE 017955
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing HISTIDINE 019061
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing PROLINE 017956