The Serotonin hypothesis – curing illness with food
Type of Spiritual Experience
The following is a summary of a discussion that took place between eminent neuroscientists and psychologists on the forum for the scientific study of consciousness
According to Wikipedia, which based its list on the USDA Nutrients database, Tryptophan is present in most protein-based foods or dietary proteins. It is particularly plentiful in chocolate, oats, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, red meat, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame, chickpeas, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, buckwheat, spirulina, and peanuts.
Food Tryptophan [g/100 g of food]
Egg white, dried 1.00
Spirulina, dried 0.92
Cod, Atlantic, dried 0.70
Soybeans, raw 0.59
Cheese, Parmesan 0.56
Sesame seed 0.37
Cheese, Cheddar 0.32
Sunflower seed 0.30
Pork, chop 0.25
Lamb, chop 0.21
Perch, Atlantic 0.21
Chickpeas, raw 0.19
Wheat flour, white 0.13
Baking chocolate, unsweetened 0.13
Rice, white, medium-grain, cooked 0.028
Quinoa, uncooked 0.167
Quinoa, cooked 0.052
Potatoes, russet 0.02
A description of the experience
The Serotonin hypothesis – curing illness with food
Latest research appears to indicate that Serotonin acts like a FUNNELLING agent on emotions and spiritual experience.
Thoughts stay in consciousness according to the strength of emotion they generate. A "feedback loop" keeps them active. Something has to limit it or everything will become active and remain at the same time. That "eliminator" is serotonin.
The body naturally regulates serotonin and these serotonin receptors are found ALL OVER THE BODY - constipation or diarrhoea IBS - for example can be caused by the serotonin receptors in our intestines.
Pharmaceuticals really screw up the body's natural regulation, they interfere with the receptor, for any naturally produced serotonin and thus natural serotonin is no longer able to perform its proper role. One has destroyed the control loop.
- INTERFERE WITH the process of serotonergic SUPPRESSION [via ANTAGONISTIC drugs like LSD, Cannabis, Psilocybin or DMT which affects the serotonin receptors for example] and thoughts will easily come into mind and won't go out. Powerful thoughts will accumulate. This in extreme is a psychedelic experience or schizophrenia or paranoia, mania and depression and even outright madness.
- INTERFERE WITH the process of serotonergic SUPPRESSION via AGONISTIC drugs and you have a "tranquilizer". The person will be calm, but might not like it, saying something like "Nothing means anything, 'feeling" is just gone". In other words they cease to be human - emotionless, cold, calculating. No fear, no love, no conscience, no sense of right and wrong, no inspiration, no wisdom.
On the other hand
- if a person has become almost loopy because the serotonin funnelling is not working, a quick balancing boost of serotonin may help. Foods are natural serotonin sources. You do not need drugs or pharmaceuticals. Bananas have serotonin in. Chocolate does. Serotonin taken orally does not pass into the serotonergic pathways of the central nervous system, because it does not cross the blood–brain barrier. However, tryptophan [https://phytochem.nal.usda.gov/phytochem/chemicals/show/17599?et=C] and its metabolite 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan, is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin] does cross the blood–brain barrier. So theoretically when someone becomes hyper -like ADHD - or depressed, the first line of action should be foods with these chemicals in them.
Dr Duke's list of plants containing serotonin
- Pineapple - Ananas comosus - Fruit
- Cotton - Gossypium sp - Fruit
- Sea Buckthorn - Hippophae rhamnoides - Bark
- Walnut - Juglans regia - Embryo and see
- Black walnut - Juglans nigra - Seed
- Velvet Bean - Mucuna pruriens - Seed
- Banana - Musa x paradisiaca - Plant, hull husk and fruit
- Avocado - Persea americana - Fruit
- Date Palm - Phoenix dactylifera - Fruit
- Plum - Prunus domestica - Fruit
- Pomegranate - Punica granatum - Fruit Juice and seed
- Chocolate - Theobroma cacao - Plant and seed
- Nettle - Urtica dioica - Plant
On the other hand if the natural funnelling effect has gone way too far and you feel emotionless and miserable, lacking in wisdom and inspiration, dull and disconnected spiritually then the same foods will need to be avoided.
Furthermore you need to lay off the pharmaceuticals
Amphetamines like the drugs given to children for ADHD, SSRIs, a large number of volatile gases [glue sniffing?], anti-psychotics, anti-anxiety drugs, a number of NSAIDs, a number of anti-virals, IBS drugs, obesity drugs, anti-emetic drugs....... in the end almost every single drug is interfering with the funnelling effect. And this might explain the vast number of so called 'hallucinations' recorded by eHealthme for all these drugs - legal and illegal - millions.
With the regular prescribing of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics etc, doctors have medicated people beyond any form of positive spiritual connection, beyond any form of passionate love, and have medicated them beyond conscience or empathy with other creatures, and because of the nature of receptors, and the ups and downs of drug uptake, they have also medicated them more into depression.
Since serotonin is the key agent, then we must - with all these drugs, be entirely confusing the body, poisoning it really, as it attempts to use any natural serotonin, to rebalance itself.
The source of the experienceDr Dukes plant database
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps