Symbols - What does heaven look like
If the shell is a scallop shell, oyster shell or cockle shell, the symbolism is more complete as the inner mollusc has a yellow centre and an outer soft part and is thus more Egg like.
There is a connection here too with Pearl symbolism.
Some shells such as the scallop shell have a ridged exterior which can be seen to look like the cones.
If we now take the example of Venus, she was symbolically 'born out of a shell', that is from the Egg and thus born a goddess.
At a more individual level, however, the shell is a symbol of the form and function of all things, as such it can represent a bodied soul - a soul trapped in a human body. The symbolism is simply a more specific version of the more general version described above.
Additional symbolism may be in operation if the shell is spiralling. The snail shell is essentially a spiral and spirals can represent the spiral path taken up the cone of energy during the spiritual path. But, the symbolism is not positive, as it signifies a path stalled, ‘ossified’ as Cirlot once said.See also Shanka
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Atharvaveda - IV 10 The Pearl and its Shell bestowing long life and prosperity
- Bouguereau - The Birth of Venus
- Delville, Jean - Satan's treasures
- Gerhardie, William - Resurrection 08 - 2nd OBE
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell - The chambered nautilus
- In the nick of time
- Jainism - Silappatikaram
- Jami - SALÁMÁN AND ABSÁL – from 05 The Story
- Krishna receives reflexology stimulation
- Mary, Mary quite contrary
- Mucha, Alphonse - Dance
- Mucha, Alphonse - Fate
- Poussin - The Triumph of Neptune and birth of Venus
- Redon, Odilon - the Underwater series
- Rilke, Rainer Maria - 12 Third Elegy
- Saadi - A Drop of Rain was falling from forth a summer cloud
- Saint Teresa of Avila - Out of body and a dove
- Saint-Exupery, Antoine de - Le Petit Prince
- Shabistari, Mahmud - The Gulshan-i raz - The sea is being and speech its shore
- Sing a song of sixpence
- Waterhouse, John William - The Mermaid
- Yassawi - 25 HIKMET 128