Symbols - What does heaven look like
Note that a sheep symbolically is different from a lamb.
Otherwise in more generic use, sheep are believers in a spiritual world. The symbolism is not terribly complimentary in some respects, as it IN PART derives from the fact that a sheep tends to follow other sheep without questioning where it is being led. But if we ignore the negative connotations in this, the more positive side is that it represents someone who has faith and thus practises Believing in the spiritual world.
G Schmeidler – Predicting good and bad scores in a clairvoyance experiment 1943
Psychologist Gertrude Schmeidler in 1943, proposed that one reason that confirmed sceptics do not report [spiritual] experiences is because they subconsciously avoid them. People who do report such experiences Schmeidler called the ‘sheep’ and the sceptics she called the ‘goats’. She performed a series of experiments testing to [spiritual] experiences after having first asked people about their beliefs and found the believers [the sheep] did indeed perform better than the goats.
These results have been backed up by further research from, for example, Tony Lawrence at the University of Edinburgh –[ Lawrence T – Bringing in the Sheep in Proceedings Papers – 36th Annual Parapsychology Assoc. Convention ]
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Baa baa black sheep
- Dahl, Roald - A Piece of Cake - The abyss
- Keats, John - Endymion - A Thing of beauty is a joy for ever
- Matthew 10
- Mesopotamian - Means of achieving spiritual experience 06 LOVE and Unrequited love
- Millais, John Everett - Christ in the house of his parents
- Morrells, Luce cliffs and sheep
- Moses - Exodus 3 - The Burning bush
- Nuremberg Chronicle - Wolf Man
- Parrish, Maxfield - The Story of Little Boy Blue
- Saint Brendan - 08 The Voyage of Saint Brendan
- Samavedas – 01 Book 06 Chapter 01, DECADE III Soma Pavamana
- Samavedas – 01 Book 06 Chapter 02, DECADE III Soma Pavamana
- Samavedas – Book 03 Chapter 01, XVIII Soma Pavamana
- Samavedas – Book 04 Chapter 01, I Soma Pavamana
- Samavedas – Book 06 Chapter 01, IX Soma Pavamana
- Segantini - Ave Maria bei der Überfahrt 1886
- Segantini - Knitting girl in the sun
- Segantini - Pascoli alpini; alpine pasture
- Song of Solomon 1
- Spencer, Stanley - Symbolism 12 - The Woolshop
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 05 - 2 Alice meets the sheep in a shop
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 05 - 3 Feather feather!
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 05 - 4 Moving eggs
- Uruk – Miscellaneous artefacts
- Zoroastrian - Symbols and concepts - Twin horns [sheep and goats]