Symbols - What does heaven look like
Below I have reproduced the diagram from the memory section to show you. The Maze principally represents the accumulated Database of facts [which as we saw generally are not facts]. Looks like a maze doesn’t it? The more badly organised your Memory is the worse the maze – you run a real risk of being lost in your own Memory on a permanent basis. So a truly difficult maze is a pointer towards the need for a bit of reorganisation on your part.
Within this maze we also have some quite important categories of information stored.
- Subliminal models are the ones we don’t know we have. – see Memory and subliminal models. If we find an area of the maze which is extremely difficult to find and get into, then we have reached an area of subliminal memory and we should explore this thoroughly to see just what we have been led to believe. Generally this needs to go – be cleared away.
- Emotional models – see Memory and Emotion, are the ones that have been formed via high levels of emotion – from us or from the person who is there with us in memory. The memory can be both positive and negative, but memory formed from strong emotion can have a very detrimental way to the way we run our life as it ‘takes over’ our processing - keeps on resurfacing in memories when it has no valid reason to. Here too there is the need to temper down its effect. In all visions or spiritual experiences, where you enter this part of the maze you will sense the emotion attached – fear, longing, euphoria, joy, appalling sadness and so on. You will know what the emotion is, from that point on you just have to wait to see what extra symbols are provided to help you discover what the memory is that is proving so detrimental to your life.
- Incorrect models – do things keep on happening to you? Do you constantly get dumped by chaps? Do you seem to keep on losing money or getting into debt? Are you basically not a happy bunny with repeating patterns of unpleasant things happening to you? Then basically a part of your memory contains learnt function [behaviour] that is wrong. The maze will be a real maze at this stage with twists and turns and dead ends and no end of convoluted paths that all seem to lead to a symbolic sign of what you are doing wrong.
- Demons – here you will need to be brave because just like all those poor souls who entered the labyrinth [which was not a labyrinth but a maze] in Crete and saw the Minotaur, you too may discover your own Minotaurs by traversing your Memory. You have to be brave here. These are always your demons, so you will need to find out what they are and ‘expunge’ them. A virus is a virus!
- Destiny – the last and less onerous discovery by traversing a maze is the discovery of your part of the Great Work. You will have a plan in your Memory of what you need to do to achieve some task, let us call it task A. Task A is something you have been allocated to do, but in order to do it, you have to break the tasks down into more detail. Generally speaking, we don’t do this on paper, but it certainly exists in our mind and appears very often as a really complex maze, and occasionally shown with Treasure at its centre . The diagram below shows how the task dependencies [showing the dependencies of each task on others especially for outputs] can become ‘maze like’
In effect, if you see this maze in a spiritual experience, you are seeing a symbolic representation of your life’s plan – the road to your Destiny.
If you traverse this in a dream or vision or similar experience then it may help you see better paths to follow. You might be able to see that some paths are a dead end, you may come across real problems [ogres!] and have to turn back [unless you face them], you may go a long way along one route only to find you have to turn back because that approach got you nowhere – it was not leading us to the goal – our destiny. The more difficult the job you have been given, the more complex is the plan - it looks like a maze!
At no stage in life’s journey are you able to ‘see over the walls’ to understand what the goal is, nor how to get there. This is the difficulty of life – that the routes, the overall plan and the goal may be already defined – but the actual path taken you have to work out for yourself.
In many visions manufactured for us by the composer we are shown parts of our life’s plan – the routes we have taken or are to take. We may be shown the branches, the other people or helpers that we might meet or who have helped us. This is a constructed vision. We may see tunnels and doors, guardians and helpers, portals and paths – all symbolic and all composed for us to give us a perspective on where we are. Many dreams take on this shape.
At the centre of every maze is the ‘prize’ – the Treasure. Our destiny is to obtain this prize whatever it happens to be.
The television game show of the Crystal maze cleverly combined the symbolism of the egg and its many layers, with that of a maze and problem solving. The winner received ‘crystals’ symbolic of achievement – the diamond and the treasure.
see also Maze and tunnel
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A Gift From God Ibogaine by C
- Blake, William - Around Golgonooza lies the land of death eternal
- C P Cavafy - The Windows
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor - The Picture
- DMT - Circus, clowns and Jokers
- Gardner, Ingrid - The big wet bathroom
- Hobson, Dr Allan - The effects of a stroke 03 - A monkey mama is floating in the air in front of him
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Maze
- Lalla - Knowledge is a garden
- Lovecraft, H P - The Beast in the Cave
- Magritte, Rene - Beautiful World
- Morrells, Luce and an apocalyptic dream
- Ovid - Metamorphoses - The Story of Phaeton 3
- Thompson, Francis - An anthem of Earth
- Thompson, Francis - The Hound of Heaven 1
- Yeats, W B - Selected poems - Nineteen hundred and nineteen