Symbols - What does heaven look like
Bones are crystals.
In effect, bones take their symbolism from the fact that they are crystal structures and thus are representative of Form.
Their symbolism is also derived from the perceived effects of the kundalini experience, which sends waves of energy up the spine.
In yet another strange literalisation of what was a symbolic association, a number of older cultures now take this literally – they literally believe the soul is to be found in the bone marrow or in the actual bones of the person or animal.
This has led to some odd beliefs and rituals, for example………..
The Mind in the Cave – David Lewis-Williams
In shamanistic societies throughout the world bone has special significance and is associated with spirit.. For instance, the Huichol of Central America believe that the spirit, or soul of a person lodges in the top of the head and in the bone that grows over the fontanel in the months after birth. The Iriquois of North America have a development of this …. Their word for ‘burned bones’ [uq-sken-ra-ri] also means the soul as ‘animated skeleton’ or ‘ghost’……….. Around the world, notions of a skeletal soul and rebirth from bones are expressed ritually. The Warao of Venezuela, for example, place fish bones into the walls and thatch of dwellings in the belief that this display of respect will lead to new fish being born; fish and animals, like people are believed to have souls.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Agrippa, Heinrich Cornelius - Sacramentum matrimonii antiquissimum est - 03
- Alice in Wonderland - Ch 10 - 1 Lobster quadrille
- Atharvaveda - IV 10 The Pearl and its Shell bestowing long life and prosperity
- Dickinson, Emily - The bone that has no marrow What ultimate for that
- Engel, C - Siberian shamanism - Kamtschatka shamans
- Enûma Eliš - Sixth Tablet
- Gaudi - Professional work - 04 The Sagrada Família
- Hammond, Bill - Eagle and bone
- Jack Sprat
- Manley Hopkins, Gerald - The Caged Skylark
- Mircea Eliade - Belet
- Mircea Eliade - On Shamans and bones
- Old Mother Hubbard
- Ovid - Metamorphoses - The Giant's War 8
- Rolle, Richard - Incendium Amoris - Ecstasy, song and fervour!
- Samavedas – Book 03 Chapter 01, VIII Indra
- Shah, Idries - The Sufis - QaLB
- Shah, Idries – The Sufis - QSS and Alif Ba Lam
- Simon, Paul - Hearts and bones
- St Vincent - Marrow
- The Ancestors - Bryn Celli Ddu - The Ritual Pit
- The Ancestors - Neolithic Orkney - Skara Brae
- The Ancestors - Neolithic Orkney - The Standing Stones of Stenness
- The Song of Great Dao - Gao, Lian - Ming Dynasty
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 01 - 1 Kitty and the Mirror
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 08 - 3 Falling off
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - I have pried through the strata and analysed to a hair
- Willetts, Sam - Anchor Riddle