Category: Illness or disabilities
Introduction and description
Diarrhea or diarrhoea (from the Ancient Greek διάρροια from διά dia "through" and ῥέω rheo "flow") is “the condition of having at least three loose or liquid bowel movements each day. It often lasts for a few days and can result in dehydration due to fluid loss. Loose but non watery stools in babies who are breastfed, however, may be normal.
About 1.7 to 5 billion cases of diarrhea occur per year. It is most common in developing countries. Worldwide, as of 2012, it is the second most common cause of deaths in children less than five".
Doctors and medical people tend to treat diarrhoea as an ‘illness’, but it is not an illness, it is a symptom.
Diarrhoea has an essential and absolutely key role to play in removing harmful substances from our body quickly and effectively before they do any damage or pass through the walls of the intestine and get into our blood stream – where real damage can result.
For those reasons, all pharmaceuticals that ‘treat’ diarrhoea by suppressing it are potentially laying us open to infection and infestation by a whole host of truly unpleasant pathogens and toxins from parasites to viruses, from bacteria to heavy metals and other toxins.
Given the wall of defences these pathogens have had to already cross – our stomach and our immune system – they are particularly to be feared, as they are, in the words of John Wayne, ‘tough little critters’.
Doctors have again come up with all sorts of classifications of diarrhoea - - short duration watery diarrhoea, short duration bloody diarrhoea, and if it lasts for more than two weeks persistent diarrhoea. But the classification is somewhat useless, as the duration is dependent on how much the body is having to struggle to get rid of the invader and all signs of the invader. If the invader has got into the castle this far, there is going to be some rather vicious hand to hand fighting needed between our immune system troops and the enemy.
The stools will be very loose or even like water and they will smell. There is also often 'urgency' in passing them. In effect, you won't be able to walk at a leisurely pace to the toilet, you will have to run.
Passing wind may also result in 'faecal deposits' in your knickers.
When our immune system is compromised by vitamin deficiency or mineral deficiency or by stress; or we have served to compromise our defences by upsetting the balance of our stomach acids using, for example, proton pump inhibitors or antacids and heartburn treatments; or we have used medication to suppress the nausea reflex that protects us from harmful ingested substances by making us sick and thus 'throwing them up', a vast range of harmful ingested things can enter the intestines.
Diarrhoea is an indication of infection and the presence of toxic substances, as I have already stated, it does not need 'treating', but its causes do, so a check should be made to ensure the toxic substance or pathogen has successfully been removed by our system. Where the diarrhoea has not flushed out the pathogen or toxic substance disease can result.
In the section on Intestine disease I have provided as complete a list as I can of all the causes of illnesses and diseases of the Intestine - of which diarrhoea is but one. This description needs to also be referred to to get a full picture of the causes.
What can cause diarrhoea?
There are a large number of viruses that can cause diarrhoea.
Rotavirus, for example, is the most common cause of severe diarrhoea among infants and young children and accounts for up to 50% of hospitalisations for severe diarrhoea in infants and children. Nearly every child in the world has been infected with rotavirus at least once by the age of five. Immunity develops with each infection. There are five species of this virus, referred to as A, B, C, D, and E. Rotavirus A, the most common species, causes more than 90% of rotavirus infections in humans.
The virus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route. It infects and damages the cells that line the small intestine. Worldwide more than 450,000 children under five years of age still die from rotavirus infection each year. But what we need to realise is that if a virus has reached the Intestines, diarrhoea SHOULD result. If it doesn't we are actually in trouble.
On March 21, 2014, the Guinea Ministry of Health reported the outbreak of an illness characterized by fever, severe diarrhea, vomiting, and a high case-fatality rate (59%) among 49 persons. Specimens from 15 of 20 persons tested at Institut Pasteur in Lyon, France, were positive for an Ebola virus by polymerase chain reaction. Viral sequencing identified Ebola virus (species Zaïre ebolavirus), one of five viruses in the genus Ebolavirus, as the cause. PMID: 24964881
Vomiting and diarrhoea are good signs that our body is doing its level best to expel the invaders. If we don't vomit and don't have the squits we are in serious trouble.
Again a large number of bacteria can cause diarrhoea. Cholera is an infection of the small intestine caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. The main symptoms are watery diarrhoea and vomiting.
If there is blood visible in the stools, it is known as Dysentery. The blood is trace of an invasion of bowel tissue. Dysentery is a symptom of, among others, Shigella, Entamoeba histolytica [which is a parasite], and Salmonella.
- Shigella is a genus of Gram-negative, facultative anaerobic bacteria closely related to Salmonella. The causative agent of human shigellosis, it is only naturally found in humans and apes. During infection, it typically causes dysentery. Shigella is one of the leading bacterial causes of diarrhea worldwide, it “causes about 90 million cases of severe dysentery, with at least 100,000 of these resulting in death, each year”.
- Salmonella is a genus of rod-shaped, Gram-negative bacteria. There are only two species of Salmonella, Salmonella bongori and Salmonella enterica. The genus belongs to the same family as Escherichia, which includes the species E.coli. Salmonellae cause illnesses such as typhoid fever, paratyphoid fever, and food poisoning.
Numerous parasites cause diarhoea. For example, Blastocystis is a single-cell organism that produces symptoms of abdominal pain, constipation and diarrhoea. Researchers have noted that clinical diagnostics fail to identify infection. Dientamoeba fragilis is a single-cell organism that produces pain and diarrhea. Studies have reported a high incidence of infection in developed countries. Entamoeba histolytica is the cause of Amoebiasis, or Amebiasis. Giardia lamblia produces diarrheal infection of the small intestine. The parasitic protozoan Toxoplasma gondii infects about one-third of the population of developed countries. It is carried by cats [being with cats]. There are more, but I have given enough examples.
Toxins are an increasingly common source of diarrhoea. If you follow the link you will be able to see what constitutes a toxin. All toxins cause diarrhoea and may also cause vomiting. A toxin is any substance which causes cell destruction or inhibition of our chemical system and results in disability [permanent or temporary] or death.
Biological, chemical, and physical contamination of foods is a terrifying threat for the health and economic growth in developing societies. Rampantly available literature on foodborne illnesses especially diarrhea among children exclusively depicts the intensified disease burden associated with foodborne illness in the underdeveloped economies. Prevalence of many pathogens in several foods is commonplace in Pakistan. ….. Poor processing and storage of milk, cereal grains, and nuts are a major cause of aflatoxin contamination and mold proliferation. Numerous studies manifest a multitude of foods to be contaminated with heavy metals. …. There is a tendency among the traders and manufacturers to intentionally debase food commodities offered for sale to make profit at the cost of their quality and safety. Therefore, a growing trend of adulteration in foods during the recent past, particularly adulteration of milk, poses a pressing challenge for the government. PMID: 24915401
Incidentally, the researcher cites underdeveloped countries, but there is as much literature on developed countries, it is just that the toxins are different.
in this case the body is treating the food as a poison or toxin
An impressive list of pharmaceuticals cause diarrhoea.
The eHealthme site collects the Adverse Drug reports submitted by doctors to the FDA and SEDA in the USA. It then summarises them for ease of use. We originally provided a direct link to Diarrhoea listed on this site and the pharmaceuticals that can cause it, but the eHealthme website developers frequently reorganise the site and thus break the links. Thus in order to find out which pharmaceuticals are implicated in Diarrhoea
- Follow the LINK to the eHealthme website
- Using the ‘All conditions’ index find the appropriate entry
- Now scroll down until you get to the section marked ‘Drugs that could cause ”
The list shows you all the drugs implicated in CAUSING Diarrhea as well as the number of people who have made a complaint to their doctor and had their case reported by him. Note that it is up to the doctor whether he reports or not.
As of October 2016, about 3,200 pharmaceuticals were in this list
It is rare for fungal infection to be the cause, but with the increasing use of antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs as well as immunosuppressants, far more cases have started to appear. For example
Lower gastrointestinal tract infections caused by Candida species are rarely reported, and Candida albicans is the only pathogen that has been identified. The author reports a case of colonic candidiasis caused by Candida tropicalis in a 55-year-old female with diabetes mellitus type 2, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and neutropenia induced by chemotherapy. Diarrhea and fever were the presenting symptoms. PMID: 25028576
exposure to radiation usually causes nausea and vomiting, but diarrhoea is also not unknown. Although the following is about radiation therapy, the findings would apply to all radiation
To better understand the indirect effects of standard courses of radiation therapy (RT) on distant tissue toxicity, we evaluated the frequency, course, and health and economic burden of radiation induced diarrhea (RID) in a large, multinational group of patients who were being treated for cancers of the head and neck (HNC) or lung (NSCLC)………..Moderate to severe RID was reported in all groups and was worse among patient being treated with concomitant chemoradiation (CRT). Whereas 29 % of patients treated with radiation only developed RID, the incidence was 42 % among CRT-treated patients. ……In addition to local tissue toxicities, our results suggest that focal radiation may also be associated with significant distant tissue-centric injury here represented by RID. While these changes were seen with radiation alone, the addition of chemotherapy increased the incidence and burden of illness. ….. This unanticipated finding supports the hypothesis that focal radiation therapy results in pathobiological changes that extend beyond the radiation field and which can produce distant changes. PMID: 25123194
removal of any of the digestive system that protects us from infectious agents or parasitical or viral invasion is likely to lay us open to diarrhoea. For example, removal of the gall bladder can result in more infection by invaders, as the gall bladder produces and stores bile, which is released into the small intestine. Wikipedia says that 'Humans can live without a gallbladder', but not for long if we are subject to considerable attack.
Find the cause. Doctors these days should use the loose motions to analyse for the culprit as what ever is causing the bloody diarrhoea or high fever, for example, will be present in their stool.
of diarrhoea is by improved sanitation, clean drinking water, and hand washing. Breastfeeding for at least six month is also recommended.
Do not take anti-diarrhoea medication, you must let your system flush out the pathogen or toxin. Drink ‘Oral rehydration solution (ORS)’, which is clean water with modest amounts of salts and sugar, along with zinc to help boost the immune system. Boiled clean water should be drunk frequently. In those with severe dehydration, intravenous fluids may be required.
You must continue to breast feed babies who have diarrhoea as long as you are not the source of the pathogen!
It appears that opinions are divided on whether you should eat or not. Some pathogens thrive on food, as such if you suspect the invader was food borne, it is better to ‘starve’ the invader of further nourishment. Some foods help to boost the immune system, as such if you feel you can eat, the concentrate on very plain immune boosting food only in small amounts taken regularly.
How it works
Most of the negative forms of spiritual experience - hallucinations, near death experiences or out of body, occur from the effects of the diarrhoea - Dehydration, Nutritional deprivation and Exhaustion.
I have provided a number of healing observations, foods which help to boost the immune system to fight the invaders.
References and further reading
Support Care Cancer. 2014 Aug 16. Unanticipated frequency and consequences of regimen-related diarrhea in patients being treated with radiation or chemoradiation regimens for cancers of the head and neck or lung. Sonis S1, Elting L, Keefe D, Nguyen H, Grunberg S, Randolph-Jackson P, Brennan M; on behalf of the TRIAD Burden of Illness Investigators.
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2015 Jan 28;55(2):219-26. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2011.650801. Food Safety Challenges-A Pakistan's Perspective. Akhtar S.
- Antibacterial activity of natural spices on multiple drug resistant Escherichia coli isolated from drinking water, Bangladesh 021227
- Antiviral screening of British Columbian medicinal plants 017479
- Avens - The Healing power of herbs – Ceres Esplan 019741
- Bilberry tea - The Healing power of Herbal teas – Ceres Esplan 019452
- Bombard, Dr Alain – The Bombard Story – Summing up 016143
- Causes Of Chronic Non-Infectious Diarrhoea In Infants Less Than 6 Months Of Age: Rarely Recognized Entities 027332
- Coltsfoot - Medicinal Plants of the Russian Pharmacopoeia 011339
- Culpepper's Complete Herbal on Hawthorn 019441
- Cumin and diabetes 005583
- Curing AIDS and HIV in Botswana 013082
- Dr Duke's list of activities for Tannins 017824
- Dr Duke's list of activities of Tannin 017796
- Drug found for parasite that is major cause of death worldwide 017782
- Effects of two natural medicine formulations on irritable bowel syndrome symptoms: a pilot study 017211
- Elderberries and parasites 2 006765
- Ginseng and rotavirus 005322
- Green, Drs Elmer and Alyce – Healing functional diarrhoea using biofeedback 027314
- Green, Drs Elmer and Alyce – Healing functional diarrhoea using biofeedback – case study 027315
- Green, Drs Elmer and Alyce – Healing severe fecal incontinence using biofeedback 027316
- Hack Tuke, Daniel – Healing - Inducing bowel evacuation as a consequence of suggestion only 026053
- IBS and exclusion diets 006245
- Loperamide Versus Psyllium Fiber for Treatment of Fecal Incontinence: The Fecal Incontinence Prescription (Rx) Management (FIRM) Randomized Clinical Trial 020860
- Metagenomic testing as a means of identifying the pathogens causing IBS and diarrhoea 026758
- Metagenomics of Two Severe Foodborne Outbreaks Provides Diagnostic Signatures and Signs of Coinfection Not Attainable by Traditional Methods 026767
- Mrs Grieve on Acacia (Gum) 020493
- Mrs Grieve on Acacia Bark 020491
- Mrs Grieve on Amaranths 020772
- Mrs Grieve on Apples 016642
- Mrs Grieve on Avens 019740
- Mrs Grieve on Bilberries 005548
- Mrs Grieve on Cinnamon 005549
- Mrs Grieve on Comfrey 016795
- Mrs Grieve on Ginger 017500
- Mrs Grieve on Great Burnet 020742
- Mrs Grieve on Marsh mallow 017239
- Mrs Grieve on Mountain Ash 007156
- Mrs Grieve on Peppermint 005542
- Mrs Grieve on Raspberries 005545
- Mrs Grieve on Slippery Elm 017215
- Mrs Grieve on Strawberries 005544
- Mrs Grieve on White Willow 020520
- Mrs Grieve on Wild Amaranth 020773
- Mrs Grieve on Winterberry 020503
- Natural pre and probiotics 006250
- PFAF summary of cherries 007267
- Probiotics and prebiotics - pros and cons 006251
- Sacred Lotus rhizome a summary of properties 010391
- Stephen Harrod Buhner - Herbal Antivirals - Ginger 017501
- The Healing Power of Sleep 026790
- The Manuals of Taoist Sexual Practise – Ten Questions 09 017846
- The WASH programme 008352
- Zinc and childhood infectious diseases 006868
- Zinc deficiency 006866
- Zinc therapy and diarrhoea 006869
- Acute fluoride poisoning from a public water system 013016
- Allergic like reactions to fish and Swiss cheese 012475
- Bromo-Dragonfly - Last Time I'll Ever Try It- - by eVitamite 017352
- Cisplatin hallucinations 006923
- Clarithromycin 001138
- EROWID - The Expanding Mobius Strip - Chad 015449
- Gluten Sensitivity 023512
- Hallucinations and diarrhoea 006441
- Herbicides and hallucinations 006269
- Intractable diarrhoea and severe weight loss by roflumilast 012795
- Lamisil 006893
- Lincoln Wind turbine moratorium 004997
- Oxaliplatin hallucinations 006924
- Pepto-bismol hallucinations 006733
- VFEND 006897
- Vignoli, Tito - Sees flames and stars 005967
- Zetia hallucinations 005425
Wisdom, Inspiration, Divine love & Bliss
Out of time
- Hack Tuke, Daniel – Healing - Inducing bowel evacuation as a consequence of suggestion only 026053
- Hack Tuke, Daniel – Sickness - Diarrhoea induced by powerful emotions – fear and fright 026138
- A Family Clustered Nitrite Intoxication Investigation in Gaoxin District, Suzhou, China 027443
- Contamination of Chinese drinking water 2 008329
- Contamination of Korea's drinking water 008343
- Contamination of Spanish drinking water 008340
- Contamination of Swedish drinking water 008333
- Outbreak of acute fluoride poisoning caused by a fluoride overfeed, Mississippi 013017
- Pharmaceuticals and potassium imbalance 006295
- Yung-Ch-Cheng – The efficacy of Chinese medicine 028219