Type of Spiritual Experience
BackgroundThe number of hallucinations is from the eHealthme web site
A description of the experience
On Dec, 27, 2016, 22,946 people reported to have side effects when taking Oxaliplatin. Among them, 34 people (0.15%) have Hallucination
is a coordination complex that is used in cancer chemotherapy. These platinum -based drugs are usually classified as alkylating agents, although they are not actually alkylating groups (they function by a similar mechanism). It is used principally to treat colorectal cancer.
“The cytotoxicity of platinum compounds is thought to result from inhibition of DNA synthesis in cancer cells. In vivo studies showed that Oxaliplatin has anti-tumor activity against colon carcinoma through its (non-targeted) cytotoxic effects. Oxaliplatin is typically administered with fluorouracil and leucovorin in a combination known as FOLFOX for the treatment of colorectal cancer. When compared with Fluorouracil and Folinic Acid administered according to the "De Gramont regimen" there was no significant increase in overall survival with the FOLFOX regimen”.
Side-effects of oxaliplatin treatment can potentially include:
- Nerve damage - Neuropathy, (both an acute, reversible sensitivity to cold and numbness in the hands and feet and a chronic, possibly irreversible foot/leg, hand/arm numbness, often with deficits in proprioception
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
- Neutropenia - is characterized by an abnormally low number of neutrophils. Neutrophils usually make up 50-70% of circulating white blood cells and serve as the primary defense against infections by destroying bacteria in the blood. Hence, patients with neutropenia are more susceptible to bacterial infections and, without prompt medical attention, the condition may become life-threatening and deadly
- Deafness - Ototoxicity (hearing loss)
- Extravasation - if Oxaliplatin leaks from the infusion vein it may cause severe damage to the connective tissues.
- Allergy - In addition, some patients may experience an allergic reaction to platinum-containing drugs.
- Kidney damage - Oxaliplatin has ‘less ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity than cisplatin and carboplatin’
The source of the experienceeHealthme
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps
OverloadsAsthma and allergy
Blood circulatory system disease
Nervous system disease
Sleep deprivation, insomnia and mental exhaustion