It is worth adding that the archetypal image – the template – that we have built up for this type of spirit being is so universal now, that it I presented back to us by the spirit world in visions. Thus we ‘see’ what we expect to see and the image is constructed for us as we would expect – even down to the pointy ears and elongated body. I have found observations of those who imbibe hallucinatory mushrooms who see the elf of the mushroom.
So far I have found no one who has had too many Portobello mushrooms or Trumpet de Mort, but given time …….
Elves are often associated with woods because many fungi grow on trees, particularly oak, beech, lime, linden, ash and birch occasionally pine. Flowering trees that also support fungi have always been regarded as particularly 'potent' spiritually.
Synonyms – Alf; Alven, elve, elfvar [male], elfvor [female] elbe, oreas, naias, hamadryas.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Brittany - Corrigans, Lutins, Nains and Follets
- Dinnshenchas – The shape shifting of Faifne the poet and his sister Aige
- DMT - Seeing elves via DMT therapy
- Ecclesiastical History of Iceland - Finnus Johannaeus - The Alfa folk of Iceland
- Elves of Freshfield woods
- Evans-Wentz, W Y - Alchemical and Mystical Theory 
- Evans-Wentz, W Y - The Fairy Faith in Celtic countries - The testimony of Mrs X
- Frost, Robert - Something there is that doesn't love a wall
- Gautier, Theophile - The portrait from life of an elf
- Gnomes in the garden
- Holy Cow, Aliens, Soul Marriage, and Divinity - Ayahuasca by Mitra 01
- Joscelyn Godwin - Celts and Scandinavians
- Keightley, Thomas - Store Hedding Zealand
- Keightley, Thomas - Stromkarl
- Keightley, Thomas - The Elfdans
- Keightley, Thomas - The Elle-king's soldiers
- Keightley, Thomas - White Dwarfs
- Manley Hopkins, Gerald - The Starlight Night - Elves
- McKenna, Terence - On the realm of DMT
- Mr. Hart - 1634, Wiltshire, England - Dancing elves, a paralyzed witness
- Paul Devereux - On elves
- Pinchbeck, Daniel - Mushrooms 1
- Pinchbeck, Daniel - Mushrooms 2
- Poetic Edda - Sayings of the High One [extract]
- Poetic Edda - The Ballad of Alvis [exract]
- Russell, George William - Aerial clashings in an ever-changing musical silvery sound
- Sir James Frazer - The Golden Bough - Greek gods
- Steiner, Rudolf - Nature spirits - Lunar Pitris
- Thomas Keightley - World Guide to Fairies - Elyll and Ellyon
- Thorlacius - Noget Om Thor og Hans Hammer
- Wikipedia - Fairy ring folklore