Rosa damascena - Damask rose
Category: Medicines - plant based
Introduction and description
Rosa × damascena, more commonly known as the Damask rose, or sometimes as the Rose of Castile, is a rose hybrid, derived from Rosa gallica and Rosa moschata.
The flowers are renowned for their fine fragrance, and are commercially harvested for rose oil (either "rose otto" or "rose absolute") used in perfumery and to make rose water and "rose concrete".
The flower petals are also edible. They may be used to flavor food, as a garnish, as an herbal tea, and preserved in sugar as gulkand.
The Damask rose is thus both a medicine and a food. As the food aspects of the Damask rose are quite fascinating, we have placed the full description in the food section, however, the observations showing the healing uses are shown in both description.
- Anti-inflammatory effect of volatile oil and hydroalcoholic extract of Rosa damascena Mill on acetic acid-induced colitis in rats 019798
- Cytogenetic, cytotoxic and GC-MS studies on concrete and absolute oils from Taif rose, Saudi Arabia 019799
- Dr Duke's list of Chemicals and their Biological Activities in: Rosa damascena MILLER (Rosaceae) -- Damask Rose 019791
- Dr Duke's list of Plants Containing QUERCETIN 021446
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticancer (bladder) activity 018452
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticancer (colon) activity 018455
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticancer (forestomach) activity 018458
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticancer (liver) activity 018461
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticancer (skin) activity 018466
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with AntiEBV activity of high chemical potency 018294
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with AntiPolio activity of high chemical potency 018298
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Metal-chelator activity at high concentrations 018060
- Evaluation of the effect of aromatherapy with Rosa damascena Mill. on postoperative pain intensity in hospitalized children 019794
- Gulkand - A descriptive overview 019792
- Pharmacological effects of rosa damascena 019793
- Pharmacological safety evaluation of a traditional herbal medicine "Zereshk-e-Saghir" and assessment of its hepatoprotective effects on carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic damage in rats 027503
- Rosa Damascena has a Small Effect on SSRI-induced Sexual Dysfunction in Female Patients Suffering from MDD 019797
- Rosa damascena oil improves SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction in male patients suffering from major depressive disorders 019796
- The Effect of Rosa Damascena Extract on Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Double-blind Cross-over Clinical Trial 019795