Mead - Metheglin
Type of Spiritual Experience
As long as you press the solids well, all the nutrients in the honey and fruit will transfer to the wine.
From a recipe book written by monks
A description of the experience
Mead – Metheglin
- 3 ½ lbs honey [and any honey extraction and bottling left overs]
- ½ lb brown sugar
- 2 lemons [squeezed, with rind]
- 1 bramley apple grated with pips or ¼ oz malic acid
- 1 slice of toast or 1 nutrient tablet
- Maury yeast or general purpose yeast if Maury not available
- 6 pints warm [NOT hot] water
- For Herby Metheglin - Mixed herbs – lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, marjoram etc to taste
- For Spicy Metheglin - 12 cloves, root ginger grated and I stick cinnamon
Dissolve honey in warm water in fermenting bucket, add all other ingredients except yeast
Let cool slightly to room temperature
Add actively fermenting yeast placed on toast, or if toast not used add the actively fermenting yeast and the nutrient tablet crushed.
Cover with clean cloth
Leave for at least one week, preferably longer in a warm place. There will be a lot of frothing, foam and bubbling
Once very very active fermentation has subsided, pass liquid through large holed sieve to remove solids, but allow yeast etc to filter through. Press solids to extract all goodness into liquid
Place in fermenting jar[s] with bung.
Leave in warm place for at least three months to finish fermentation.
Bottle as normal, carefully using siphon to ensure no solids from the bottom get into the bottles.
Leave for at least one year
The source of the experienceOther religious person
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps