Symbols - What does heaven look like
The lily takes on the symbolism of all flowers.
The lily is an emblem of purity, but in some instances lilies have taken on other meanings because of their use in religious or political symbolism. Thus lilies were sometimes used for royalty and one of the religious meanings is as a symbol of life after death – which is why they are used at funerals.
The Angel Gabriel carried a Lily to the Virgin Mary, the lily was white and signified pure wisdom being brought to earth, in effect, the coming of Jesus.
The Fleur de Lys (Lily) of France, the national emblem from the 12th century is really the Fleurs de Luce - the Flowers of Light - the three petals of the heraldic lily are the three rays of light once sacred to the Druids of Gaul and Britain as the threefold utterance of the name of God - the Trinity.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Cirlot on scales
- Cowper, William - The Lily and the Rose
- Dickinson, Emily - Through the dark sod as education The lily passes sure
- Dowson, Ernest - Non Sum Qualis eram Bonae Sub Regno Cynarae
- Gibbings, Robert & Jonson, Ben - The noble nature
- Khnopff, Fernand - Portrait of Yvonne Seys
- Kings 7 - The Temple, Jachin and Boaz
- Lowell, James Russell - A lily thou wast when I saw thee first
- Moreau - Inspiration 1893
- Mucha, Alphonse
- Osty, Dr Eugene - Supernormal faculties in Man – M. de Fleuriere the importance of symbolism in understanding images of the past present and future, as well as character
- Poe, Edgar Allen - Dream-Land
- Rider-Waite - 1 The Magician
- Rolling Stones - Gomper
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - The Blessed Damozel
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – 01 Reconstruction of an Initiation ceremony
- Schwabe, Carlos - The Virgin of the Lilies 1899
- Shakespeare, William - They that have power to hurt, and will do none
- Song of Solomon 1
- Song of Solomon 2
- Song of Solomon 6
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 01 - 2 Making memorandums
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 02 - 1 The Garden of Live Flowers
- Von Stuck, Franz - 1889 Innocence
- Zohar - III 107a – Rose of Sharon