Category: Medicines - plant based
Introduction and description
Boehmeria nivea known as Ramie is a flowering plant in the nettle family Urticaceae, native to eastern Asia. It is a herbaceous perennial growing to 1–2.5 m tall; the leaves are heart-shaped, 7–15 cm long and 6–12 cm broad, and white on the underside with dense small hairs—this gives it a silvery appearance. Unlike stinging nettles, the hairs do not sting. The true ramie or China grass, is also called Chinese plant or white ramie.
A second type, known as green ramie or rhea, has smaller leaves which are green on the underside, and it appears to be better suited to tropical conditions. The word ramie is derived from the Malay word rami.
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing NICKEL 021500
- Dr Duke's list of Plants containing SULFUR 021408
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Antianemic activity 018408
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Antianxiety activity 018342
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Anticytomegalovirus activity 018441
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Antidote (Aluminum) Activity of high potency 018327
- Dr Duke's list of Plants with Antidote (Lead) activity 018377