Common steps and sub-activities
Palmistry or chiromancy, cheiromancy or “divination” is the art of characterization and foretelling the future through the study of the palm, also known as palm reading, or chirology. The practice is found all over the world, with numerous cultural variations. Those who practice chiromancy are generally called palmists, palm readers, hand readers, hand analysts, or chirologists.
Cheiro's Memoirs: The Reminiscences of a Society Palmist
The philosopher Anaxagorus taught and practised cheiromancy about the year 423 BC. We also find Hispanus discovered, on an altar dedicated to Hermes, a book on Cheiromancy written in gold letters, which he sent as a present to Alexander the Great, as ‘a study worthy the attention of an elevated and inquiring mind’. We find that it numbered amongst its disciples such men of learning as Aristotle, Pliny, Paracelsus, Cardanus, Albertus Magnus, the Emperor Augustus and many of note.
The first book ever printed was a work on Palmistry Die Kunst Ciromantia printed in Augsberg in the year 1475…. The original Hebrew of the Book of Job, chapter XXXVII and verse 7 may be rendered in these significant words ‘God caused signs or seals on the hands of all the sons of Men, that the sons of men might know their works.’
We have an entry for Cheiro which may be of interest, especially as he had considerable success using the methods.
"The left is what the gods give you, the right is what you do with it".
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Browne, Sir Thomas - Religio Medici - On Cheiromancy
- Cheiro - Palmistry for all - The path of destiny
- Cheiro – A reading for King Humbert of Italy
- Cheiro – Prophesies the demise of Grigori Rasputin, the Mad Monk of Russia
- Cheiro – W T Stead perished because of insufficient lifeboats on the Titanic
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo - The Poet - New witness
- Sellers, Peter – Has his palm read by an Irish nurse
- The Line of Destiny - Palmistry for all - Cheiro
- The Line of Intuition - Palmistry for all - Cheiro
- The Line of Life - Palmistry for all - Cheiro
- The Line of the Head - Palmistry for all - Cheiro
- The Line of the Heart - Palmistry for all - Cheiro
- The Mystic Cross and the Ring of Soloman - Palmistry for all - Cheiro