Symbols - What does heaven look like
A Symbol that represents the Crescent Moon. There are two paths on death – one symbolically leads to the Moon and is the path of reincarnation, the other leads symbolically to the Sun and is the path of liberation from reincarnation.
The scythe is thus associated with death and reincarnation, which is why you see the figure of death holding a scythe. The symbolism is extended in some Tarot cards and symbolic images by showing death cutting the ‘cord’. Many people in out of body experiences feel as though they are ‘tied’ to the Earth layer by a cord or thread [so called Ariadne’s thread] this is actually constructed for them by the composer to give them a sense of security. Thus to ‘cut the cord’ symbolically means to die because one has cut one’s connection with the body on a fairly permanent basis!
And of course there is death and death.
A Dictionary of Symbols – J E Cirlot
An attribute of Saturn and in general linked with allegories of death. In some images of these deities it is not a large agricultural scythe that is portrayed but a smaller dagger curved in shape and called harpe.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Chagall - green man #010260
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Second Day #010651
- Colin Wilson - Mysteries - Celtic gods and beliefs #010727
- Crowley - 13 Death #007509
- Henley, William Ernest - from Echoes #004365
- Hesiod - Theogony - 03 Order of creation #015267
- Hodler, Ferdinand - The Lumberjack 1910 #007628
- Hugo, Victor - At Gautier’s Grave #003301
- Intelligences - ELEMENTS Nergal and Ereshkigal #022106
- Intelligences - PLANETS SATURN Nirig and Ugallu #022179
- Khunrath, Heinrich - Vom hylealischen Chaos 1708 #016036
- Lowell, James Russell - O dwellers in the valley land #001482
- Malevich, Kazimir - The Reaper on Red 1913 #007704
- Mellery, Xavier - Immortality #007427
- Mellery, Xavier - Les rondes des heures #007425
- Millais, John Everett - The Black Brunswicker #007746
- Ogotemmeli - Anvils, hammers and the celestial granary #011451
- Pliny – On the sacred role of mistletoe to Druids #014082
- Rig veda - Ploughs, Yokes and Fountains #004777
- Schwabe, Carlos - The Death of the Gravedigger #003753
- Segantini - Love at the Fountain of Life #008123
- Stolz von Stolzenberg, Daniel - Viridarium chemicum 1624 #016124
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 01 #016004