Intelligences - PLANETS SATURN Nirig and Ugallu
Type of Spiritual Experience
A description of the experience
Intelligences – Nirig and Ugallu
Nirig is a city god, he is thus a planet - SATURN. His wife was called Ugallu.
Nirig was also known as Ninip, Ninib, and Ningirsu. In Nippur, he was worshiped as part of a triad of deities including his father, Enlil and his mother, Ninlil. Nirig was both a Sumerian and Akkadian god, he was worshipped in Babylonia and Assyria and in Lagash
Myths of Babylonia and Assyria by Donald A. Mackenzie
His story has not been recovered, but from the references made to it there is little doubt that it was a version of the widespread myth about the elder deity who was slain by his son, as Saturn was by Jupiter and Dyaus by Indra. Ninip was also identified with the bull.
Nirig often appears holding a bow and arrow, and a sickle sword, precursor to the scythe. In the astral-theological system he was associated with the planet Saturn. In his capacity as a farmer-god, there are similarities between him and the Greek Titan Kronos, whom the Romans in turn identified with their Titan Saturn.
City states and Intelligences
Given the looting that has taken place and the destruction, the constant rebuilding and the sheer time – thousands of years – that has gone by, it is not possible to precisely state which Intelligences were the deities of which cities. Wikipedia has made many brave attempts, but they all contradict one another and this is not a criticism, it is a reflection of the fact that one cannot pin down the history of a mystic system when it is 6000 years old. Using their tables and a snapshot of the earliest allocations that could be found this is a possible allocation of deities to city states:
The Babylonians coloured the seven planets as follows: the moon, silvern; the sun, golden; Mars, red; Saturn, black; Jupiter, orange; Venus, yellow; and Mercury, blue
- Uruk – Anu and then Ishtar/Inanna, VENUS
- Ur - Nanna (in Akkadian, Sin) the MOON
- Marad - Ninurta was the god of hunting and war MARS.
- Lagash – and Girsu, dedicated to Ningursu/Ninip SATURN
- Larsa – and/or Sippar. Shamash also known as Utu – the SUN
- Eridu – Enki [later called Nebo] MERCURY
- Babylon [old] - Adad or Hadad, JUPITER. Jupiter the planet was called ‘Merodach’ - Marduk, in Babylonia. In other words when Marduk was introduced by the Babylonians, they also associated him with a planet. Jupiter was associated with Marduk by the Hammurabi period