New coumarin derivatives from Ferula pseudalliacea with antibacterial activity
Type of Spiritual Experience
A description of the experience
Nat Prod Res. 2016 Mar 8:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]
New coumarin derivatives from Ferula pseudalliacea with antibacterial activity.
Dastan D1, Salehi P2, Aliahmadi A3, Gohari AR4, Maroofi H5, Ardalan A2.
- 1a Department of Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Pharmacy , Hamadan University of Medical Sciences , Hamadan , Iran.
- 2b Department of Phytochemistry, Medicinal Plants and Drugs Research Institute , Shahid Beheshti University, G. C., Evin , Tehran , Iran.
- 3c Department of Biology, Medicinal Plants and Drugs Research Institute , Shahid Beheshti University, G. C., Evin , Tehran , Iran.
- 4d Faculty of Pharmacy, Medicinal Plants Research Center , Tehran University of Medical Sciences , Tehran , Iran.
- 5e Research Center of Agriculture and Natural Resources , Sanandaj , Iran.
In this study, the antibacterial activity of disesquiterpene coumarin and sesquiterpene coumarins obtained from Ferula pseudalliacea roots was evaluated by determination of minimum inhibitory concentration using the broth micro-dilution method against seven pathogenic bacterial strains (Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25,923, vancomycin resistant clinical strain of Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus cereus PTCC 1015, Escherichia coli ATCC 25,922, Pseudomonas aeruginosa PTCC 1430, clinical strain of Klebsiella pneumoniae and a clinical strain of Helicobacter pylori).
The overall inhibitory activities of the compounds were higher against Gram positive tested bacteria.
Sanandajin and ethyl galbanate demonstrated significant activity against H. pylori strain, as well as S. aureus strain in concentration of 64 μg/ml. Methyl galbanate inhibited vancomycin resistant strain of E. faecium in concentration of 64 μg/ml.
The results of the present investigation indicated that disesquiterpene and sesquiterpene coumarins isolated from F. pseudalliacea root extract can be considered as potent antibacterial agents for pharmaceutical and food industries.
Antibacterial; Ferula pseudalliacea; Helicobacter pylori; disesquiterpene coumarin; medicinal plant
The source of the experiencePubMed
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps
Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection