Symbols - What does heaven look like
The robin takes on all bird symbolism.
It has a special place in the Christian symbolic system because it is a symbol of Jesus because of its red breast – the blood that flowed from the spear wound given when Jesus was on the cross. This is the reason why the robin is found in Christmas cards, on Christmas chocolate logs, and in numerous other Christmas associated objects.
As piercing and the feeling of having arrows in you are features of rebirth experiences, outside the Christian symbolic system the robin can be a symbol of rebirth. Note that crucifixion is a rebirth experience for some, as such the two systems are not entirely exclusive.
Robins also take on the colour symbolism of Fire – again this is consistent with the idea of rebirth – destruction and reconstruction.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor - A Letter April 4th 1802
- Constance Oliver - Magpies in Picardy
- Cornwall - A seaman's testimony from Mousehole
- Dickinson, Emily - Because the bee may blameless hum For Thee a bee do I become
- Frederick William Harvey - Out of the Mouths of Babes
- Hawker, Robert Stephen - Modryb Marya - Now of all the trees by the King's highway
- The North Wind doth blow
- Who Killed Cock Robin
- Willetts, Sam - A Redbreast Flew into the kitchen