Category: Illness or disabilities
Introduction and description
The word 'tapeworm' actually covers a number of different parasites that have a similar action, but may cause differnet symptoms.
Taenia is a type of tapeworm which can cause Taeniasis. The worm remains in the intestine until it reaches a length of about 3 feet (1 metre or so). The two most important human pathogens in the genus are Taenia solium (the pork tapeworm) and Taenia saginata (the beef tapeworm).
Infection is acquired by eating undercooked beef and pork that contain the fluid-filled cysticercuses of either tapeworm species (often within the skeletal muscles, liver or lungs of the intermediate host). The adult worms live in the lumen of the intestine, where it causes very few symptoms. It absorbs all its nutrients directly from the host's small intestine, which can leave the patient with depleted strength. One of the more obvious symptoms is loss of weight.
For more details - symptoms causes and treatments - see Cysticercosis
Echinococcosis is a parasitic disease of tapeworms in the genus Echinococcus. It affects both humans and other mammals, such as sheep, dogs, pigs, foxes, kangaroos, rodents and horses, but because we tend to be closer to dogs, it is a disease we are more likely to get from dogs. It can also affect members of the felid family - cats.
For more details follow the links.
- Bovine cysticercosis in Denmark. A study of possible causes of infection in farms with heavily infected animals 026302
- Brain-Invading Tapeworm That Eluded Doctors Spotted by New DNA Test Genetic sequencing of spinal fluid hailed as an advance over standard procedures for diagnosing brain infections 026293
- Cysticidal activity of extracts and isolated compounds from Teloxys graveolens: In vitro and in vivo studies 026300
- Intracranial cysticercosis: an effective treatment with alternative medicines 026301
- Mini review on chemotherapy of taeniasis and cysticercosis due to Taenia solium in Asia, and a case report with 20 tapeworms in China 026298
- Parasiticidal and brine shrimp cytotoxicity potential of crude methanolic extract of rind of Punica granatum Linn against round worms and tape worms 026292
- The Healing Power of Sleep 026790
- Usefulness of pumpkin seeds combined with areca nut extract in community-based treatment of human taeniasis in northwest Sichuan Province, China 026299