Symbols - What does heaven look like
Death - the tarot
In the majority of the Tarot cards Death symbolises rebirth - the death of the old you and the modelling of a new you. Its position in the Tarot card pack is approximately correct for this interpretation, as it is not at the end of the pack but about mid way in what would be the spiritual path. Functionally we lose old function and are given new functions. Thus it is a sort of waking software/functional update.
If we continue with this analogy it is also not a bug fix, it is the implementation of a new version of the software which if you see what happens to your computer usually involves a shutdown and a restart and that is what happens during a rebirth – that is exactly how it feels – a shut down, a sort of death, and afterwards, a restart as a new you functionally; you are really not sure you are the same person. Often you are not.
As Crowley's card shows, a sort of hacking about getting rid of all the dross.
Symbolically, however, this state is better shown by the Fool.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Crowley - 13 Death
- Crowley, Aleister - Book of Lies - The Sabbath of the Goat
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Death
- Levy-Dhurmer - Death the Bride
- Malevich, Kazimir - The Reaper on Red 1913
- Mellery, Xavier - Immortality
- Rider-Waite - 13 Death
- Segantini - Love at the Fountain of Life
- The Marriage of Philology and Mercury - Maid 3
- Waterhouse, John William - St Joan