Intelligences - PLANETS MOON Sin and SUN Shamash
Type of Spiritual Experience
Both the Sun and the Moon can symbolically be part of the seven Planets, but if they are paired Sun and Moon then they symbolically represent the Creator and Created.
In the stele you see the pairing, Sun and Moon and Stars. But the separate Sun and separate Moon were also used in the Mesopotamian system as were the Sun and Moon paired!
In the Mesopotamian system the moon god is Sin or Nanna whose principal city was Ur. Sin was represented by an upturned crescent moon, the positioning is important, as you will see if you look up the symbolism.
The Sun god, was called Utu or Shamash. Shamash was a god of justice, and the protection of the poor was his especial concern. Shamash’s symbol was a sun-disk. In some descriptions he was both son and brother of the moon god. The city states associated with Shamash were Sippar and Larsa.
Ishtar was the child of the moon-god.
In symbolic diagrams, the sun has wavy rays emanating from it and in many depictions one sees what looks like two suns and a moon. But the ‘second’ sun is not a sun, it is a Star, a symbol of the stars in general.
A description of the experience
Notice the egg shape and the turtle
City states and Intelligences
Given the looting that has taken place and the destruction, the constant rebuilding and the sheer time – thousands of years – that has gone by, it is not possible to precisely state which Intelligences were the deities of which cities. Wikipedia has made many brave attempts, but they all contradict one another and this is not a criticism, it is a reflection of the fact that one cannot pin down the history of a mystic system when it is 6000 years old. Using their tables and a snapshot of the earliest allocations that could be found this is a possible allocation of deities to city states:
The Babylonians coloured the seven planets as follows: the moon, silvern; the sun, golden; Mars, red; Saturn, black; Jupiter, orange; Venus, yellow; and Mercury, blue
- Uruk – Anu and then Ishtar/Inanna, VENUS
- Ur - Nanna (in Akkadian, Sin) the MOON
- Marad - Ninurta was the god of hunting and war MARS.
- Lagash – and Girsu, dedicated to Ningursu/Ninip SATURN
- Larsa – and/or Sippar. Shamash also known as Utu – the SUN
- Eridu – Enki [later called Nebo] MERCURY
- Babylon [old] - Adad or Hadad, JUPITER. Jupiter the planet was called ‘Merodach’ - Marduk, in Babylonia. In other words when Marduk was introduced by the Babylonians, they also associated him with a planet. Jupiter was associated with Marduk by the Hammurabi period
The source of the experienceMesopotamian system
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps