Common steps and sub-activities
Out of body - separation methods
As far as I can ascertain the main methods people have used when they have gone out of body – apart from the times when they appear to have just found themselves like that without a great deal of effort are
l. Floating out. Since the spirit-body is weightless, it's normally quite easy to just float away from your physical body. The key is to focus on the sensations of floating and allow yourself to drift up and away from your body.
2. Sit up and out. This method is similar to the floating technique, except that you simply sit up and then step away from your physical body. It is the primary method Robert Monroe used during the first ten years of his out-of-body experiences. “Because of the method's physical-like qualities, it is generally easier to control than the floating or direct method. This type of separation is often heralded by the vibrational state. I believe the relatively slow withdrawal from the physical body experienced with this method creates the intense vibrations and sounds so often reported”.
3. Rolling out. After you recognize the vibrational state, you simply do a sideways roll.
4. Requesting separation - When you enter the vibrational state, you ask to separate: "I separate now" or "I move to the next room." Any firm request that directs you away from your physical body will be effective. It has to be a firm demand for immediate action. Always remember to maintain your complete attention away from your physical body; any thought or word relating to your body will instantly return you to it.
5. Pulling yourself out. This can be achieved by reaching out your non physical arm and grabbing any large object, then literally pulling the rest of your energy-self out of your physical body.
Robert Monroe “This method can get interesting because you quickly learn that your inner energy-body does not share the limits of your physical body. In other words, our energy-body has the ability to conform to our thoughts. I accidentally discovered this about ten years ago when I entered the vibrational state while sleeping in a canopy bed. Stretching my energy arm out in front of me, I spontaneously decided to try an experiment and attempted to grab the top of the bed. To my surprise my arm stretched over five feet and I took hold of the top of the bed. At that point, I pulled my entire nonphysical body out of my physical body. After standing, I stared at my hand; it had returned to its normal physical size. Amazed, I recognized that my non physical arm's shape and form completely depended on my thoughts. This realization is important because it allows us to expand our abilities in several creative ways”.
6. Direct method - Commonly called direct or instantaneous projection, this technique is achieved by willing yourself to be a place - often you then find yourself fully conscious in a completely new environment. The sudden transition from lying in bed to standing or floating in a different location can be startling if you are unprepared. Generally, there is little or no sense of movement, just an instant realization of awakening in a completely new location or environment. This type of separation is often reported during dream conversions. It is the preferred method of many experienced out-of-body explorers.
7 . Requesting assistance. - Sometimes, for reasons unknown, separation can become more difficult.
Robert Monroe “Several years ago when I was experiencing some difficulty, I found a simple way to resolve it. I entered the vibrational state and was ready to lift out, but for some reason my energy-body felt attached and heavy. Out of desperation I reached out my arm and verbally asked for help. Within seconds I felt the grasp of a hand pulling me out of my body. The feel of the hand was surprisingly solid and real. When I left my physical body, I eagerly looked around but could see no one”.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.