Type of Spiritual Experience
A description of the experience
Maprotiline (sold as Deprilept, Ludiomil, Psymion) is a medication that belongs to tetracyclic antidepressants (TeCA), a specific group of antidepressants.
The side-effect profile is comparable to other tri-/tetracyclic antidepressants and many of the following are due to anticholinergic (which are less prominent than those of most tricyclic antidepressants) and antihistaminergic effects Most often seen are:
- Dry mouth (and complications of long-term uncontrolled dry mouth such as dental caries)
- Nausea (rare, incidence of ~2%) and vomiting
- Increased appetite and weight gain
- Orthostatic hypotension, hypertension, sinus tachycardia, heart-block, arrhythmias and other cardiac effects
- Sexual dysfunction in men: impotence, priapism, delayed ejaculation, anejaculation, decreased libido
- Sexual dysfunction in women: decreased libido, vaginal dryness, painful sexual intercourse, anorgasmia
- Allergic skin reactions such as rash or urticaria (more often than with other antidepressants). Rarely, severe skin reactions such as erythema multiforme can occur.
- Agitation, confusion
- Induction of hypomania or mania in patients suffering from underlying bipolar affective disorder
- Psychotic symptoms
- Extrapyramidal symptoms
- Seizures (at high doses)
- Rare haematological complications: leukopenia and agranulocytosis (dangerous fall in white blood cells)
- Urinary retention
Maprotiline causes a strong initial sedation (first 2 to 3 weeks of therapy) and is therefore indicated to treat agitated patients or those with suicidal risks. It causes anticholinergic side effects (dry mouth, constipation, confusion, tachycardia) with a lower incidence than amitriptyline. Originally, the manufacturer claimed that maprotiline is better tolerated than other tri-/tetracyclic drugs. However, seizures, leukopenia and skin reactions occur more often with maprotiline than with comparable drugs like amitriptyline.
On Jan, 6, 2016: 189 people reported to have side effects when taking Maprotiline hydrochloride. Among them, 5 people (2.65%) have Hallucination.
On Jan, 6, 2016: 189 people reported to have side effects when taking Maprotiline hydrochloride. Among them, 1 people (0.53%) has Death.
Time on Maprotiline hydrochloride when people have Death :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years|
Gender of people who have Death when taking Maprotiline hydrochloride :