Primitive Physic: or An Easy and Natural Method of Curing Most Diseases - John Wesley 06
Type of Spiritual Experience
A description of the experience
1. A due degree of exercise is indispensably necessary to health and long life.
2. Walking is the best exercise for those who are able to bear it; riding for those who are not. The open air, when the weather is fair, contributes much to the benefit of exercise.
3. We may strengthen any weak part of the body by constant exercise. Thus, the lungs may be strengthened by loud speaking, or walking up an easy ascent; the digestion and the nerves by riding; the arms and hams by strong rubbing them daily.
4. The studious ought to have stated times for exercise, at least two or three hours a day; the one-half of this before dinner, the other before going to bed.
5. They should frequently shave, and frequently wash their feet.
6. Those who read or write much, should learn to do it standing; otherwise, it will impair their health.
7. The fewer clothes anyone uses by day or night, the hardier he will be.
8. Exercise first, should be always on an empty stomach secondly, should never be continued to weariness; thirdly, after it, we should take to cool by degrees, otherwise we shall catch cold.
9. The flesh-brush is a most useful exercise, especially to strengthen any part that is weak.