Symbols - What does heaven look like
Scales are to be found as a symbol for LIBRA, but they are also used as a symbol of the function of trying to achieve balance - the Intellect and Emotions - heads and tails, coins etc.
The Tarot contains a number of cards that allude to this need to achieve balance. Some of the cards call this ‘adjustment’.
The sign for Libra also uses this symbolism
The symbolism is also incorporated in a number of books, for example the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili by Francesca Colonna, which is an allegory from start to finish of the spiritual journey, uses scales in a number of scenes.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Al-Ghazzali - The Alchemy of Happiness - 24 Judgement
- Ancient Egyptian - The symbolism of weighing
- Aristotle - Ethics - Precis by David Furley
- Artāy Virāf - Chapter 5 - The Chinwad bridge
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Third Day
- Chuang Tzu - The Pivot
- Cirlot on scales
- Count of St Germain - A Philosophical sonnet
- Crowley - 11 Adjustment
- David-Neel, Alexandra - Karma and reincarnation - from Immortality and Reincarnation
- Dürer, Albrecht - Religious works - Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Dürer, Albrecht - Symbolism - Melencolia
- Flamel, Nicolas - Uraltes chymisches Werk A Eleazer 1760 6th illustr
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Scales
- Jabir ibn Hayyan – Henry Corbin – The science of the balance
- Jane Dunlap - Attacked by a Cobra
- Julian of Norwich - I saw the bodily sight lasting of the plenteous bleeding of the Head
- Khusrau, Amir - Ghazal 1400
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from The First Discourse 02
- Norton, Thomas - Tractatus chymicus Frankfurt 1616
- Ogotommeli - Twins
- Qu'ran - The End of the World - Surah 101 & 102
- Revelations 6 : 1-8
- The Marriage of Philology and Mercury - Maid 1
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 07
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 12
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Mushaf as-suwar - 3rd Book of the Weights