Symbols - What does heaven look like
Poppies take on the symbolism of all flowers.
We now use Poppies are a symbol of consolation in time of death or a symbol of respect for those who have died – a memorial. In the UK, New Zealand, Australia and Canada, red poppies are worn to commemorate soldiers who have died in times of war.
But poppies were also once a symbol of the death of the ego - Personality - during spiritual enlightenment. They derived their symbolism from the sexual stimulation techniques used to achieve this, the colour red – which is that of fire – and thus the last level and layer before you break through into Aether, as well as the number of seeds they produce – a symbol of fertility. They were used in this context during the Eleusinian mysteries.
But we also have, of course opium poppies that have a completely different symbolism attached to them because of their ability to induce visions, hallucinations and so on. Depending on the type of vision, they may be depicted in a positive or negative way, for a change here is some negative symbolism
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Bonnard, Pierre - Poppies
- Linda Green on Forgetting
- Miro - The Lark's Wing, Encircled with Golden Blue, Rejoins the Heart of the Poppy Sleeping on a Diamond-Studded Meadow
- O’Keeffe, Georgia - Oriental Poppies 1928
- O’Keeffe, Georgia - Poppies
- Rops, Felicien - La Dame au Pantin
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Beata Beatrix
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Lilith and Palmifera
- Schwabe, Carlos - Les Fleurs du Mal -Poppy