Symbols - What does heaven look like
The overall symbolism for the hand in terms of whether the right hand or left hand is being used is described within the page for
the Right Hand
Where the fingers are used in various combinations, further details are described within the page for
The Hand sign - ILY is also described separately
There are, however, two specific hand and finger arrangements that deserve mention here. In order to demonstrate this I have had to ask my husband to photograph my hand, as it appears that the ability to arrange one's fingers in these rather peculiar ways is not given to everyone!
The first gesture is the symbol of the jester.
A jester was a person who had achieved high levels of enlightenment and whose destiny was as a 'destroyer'. They are essentially mystic magicians and extremely powerful, possibly more powerful than any other role.
Just as the Hindu system has Creators, Maintainers and Destroyers – all of which are necessary to evolution and 'progress', so the jesters also have a role in helping change society by destruction.
Symbolically there is also a link with the Cap and Bells.
The second gesture is also not at all easy to do, so I have used my own hands to demonstrate it, as well as a stone tablet from the Grave of Rabbi Meschullam Kohn. The gesture is not specifically Jewish, but is often used in Jewish ceremonies even today.
It is a form of blessing, in that it combines the triangle as well as the the twin horns. In effect, it is the wish that the person becomes enlightened or the sign of an enlightened person ..............
At one time it appears that this symbol was a greeting used in Judaism and the Kabbalah.
It was a greeting reserved for the Kohen or cohen (or kohain; Hebrew: כֹּהֵן, "priest", pl. כֹּהֲנִים kohanim).
These days the word kohanim is simply the Hebrew word for priest. But, Jewish kohanim are traditionally believed and halakhically required to be of direct patrilineal descent from the biblical Aaron.
Incidentally I can't imagine for one moment that I am descended from Aaron, even though I can do the greeting, but so as the greeting does not go wasted
'All hail Leonard Cohen!!!'
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Ancient Egyptian - The symbolism of Min
- Ancient Egyptian - The symbolism of the Sun and Moon
- Bruno, Giordano – On Magic - Healing with the thumb
- Else Roesdahl - About the sagas
- Fort, Charles - The Book of the Damned - Falls of inscribed stones
- Lowry, L S - Ann
- Norse - Loki and Heimdall’s fight over the singing stone
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Letter 28th September 1952
- Saadi - The Gulistan of Sa‘di – 02 from the Panegyric of the Padsham of Islam
- Sacred geography - Ancient Egyptian - Abu Simbel
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – 'Remolding' in order to attain mastery
- Spencer, Stanley - Symbolism 06 - Sunflower and Dog Worship 1937
- Surdas - Fatephur Sikri manuscript - NPS 1744
- Wirth, Oswald – 04 The Emperor
- Zoroastrian - Symbols and concepts - Belts
- Zoroastrian - Symbols and concepts - Taming the lion
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Mushaf as-suwar - 3rd Book of the Weights
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Mushaf as-suwar - 5th Book of Magnesia picture 6
- Zosimos of Panopolis - The Mushaf as-suwar - 7th Book of the Mercuries picture 22