Symbols - What does heaven look like
Part of the symbolism derives from a similar association with that found for ear piercing. It is an outward demonstration that a person can ‘hear’ the spirits in the spiritual world. But the main symbolism is that to be found in the symbol for a hare.
The big ears are in effect symbolically the same as having the twin horns. In effect a person with big ears, especially if they stick out a long way is a sort of 'god' a permanently enlightened being. They can also be thought of as a form of wings, but this is simply a reinforcement of the same idea.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Ancient Egyptian - The sceptre as a symbol #014090
- CICOM Museum - Mayan - The sorceror #011724
- Chicken Itza - Mayan - Chac Mool #011682
- Copan - Mayan - Overview and plan #011685
- Copan - Mayan - Stela A #011689
- Copan - Mayan - Stela B #011690
- Copan - Mayan - Stela H #011692
- Copan - Mayan - Stela N #011688
- Copan - Mayan - Stela P Temple 16 #011686
- Father Bernabe Cobo - Inca Religion and Customs - Head binding and ear plugs #011756
- Jacquetta and Christopher Hawkes - The many forms of prehistoric man #021816
- Mesopotamian - Means of achieving spiritual experience 01 Ritual humiliation of those in power #022208
- Nuremberg Chronicle - Big Ears #010659
- Palenque - Mayan - Wall panels and inscriptions #011717
- Popol Vuh Museum - Guatemala city - Sorceror #011703
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – 'Remolding' in order to attain mastery #014101
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – Egypt as the axis of the Mysteries #014095
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – Isis and Osiris #014100
- Tikal - Mayan - Museum jar #011713
- Tikal - Mayan - The 'Nose God' #011711