Symbols - What does heaven look like
The coyote is a symbol of intelligence and to a certain extent cunning, a sort of Prometheus of the North Americas. It is also in some respects similar to the wolf in symbolic meaning. Where the Nordic peoples revered the wolf, the Native American Indians revered the coyote.
It too is an animal used for shape shifting.
Rather than give a more lengthy explanation I suggest you read the observations, as they give a good flavour for how the coyote was seen.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Beuys, Joseph - Actions #021055
- Beuys, Joseph - Animals and Insects #021063
- Chelan - Native American Indians - Creation myth #007039
- Mayan - Madrid Codex - The Trickster #011674
- Mayan - Popol Vuh - 04 The Creation of the First humans #011632
- Ruth Warner Giddings - The Yaqui coyote woman who rolled on ants #006444