Symbols - What does heaven look like
The torch is just one of many symbols that represent the Ecstatic state.
It is why it was chosen as a symbol of the Olympic games.
Thus an upright torch with a flame is an enlightened person. A downward pointing torch which is extinguished means a person who is living in the physical world and not enlightened.
|Cautes and Cautopates are very frequently shown, one with his torch pointing upwards and the other with his with his turned downwards; the one is alight, the other extinguished.|
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Bose, Sir Jagadis Chandra - from Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda 02 #021008
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Second Day #010651
- Cohen, Leonard - The Guests #023437
- Copan - Mayan - Overview and plan #011685
- Desnos, Robert - Demain #021476
- Eleusinian Mysteries - Thesmophoria - 03 #016284
- George Darley - Unicorn #000460
- Homer - The Odyssey - The Garden of Alcinous #013379
- Judaism and the Kabbalah - Mishnab sukkah 5 - Water Drawing Ceremony #003027
- Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song #012069
- Li Ho - Lament That the Days Are So Short #012865
- Moreau - The young man and death 1865 #007835
- Mudvayne and Eliphas Levi #007516
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from On the Ascension #018812
- Poussin - The Triumph of Neptune and birth of Venus #008003
- Redon, Odilon - Les Noirs 2 #008019
- Revelations 4 :2 #002711
- Rider-Waite - 15 The Devil #007513
- Samuel - The Water Drawing Ceremony #000724
- Seven Ages of Man - 02 The Centaurs/Homo heidelbergensis - various sources #021839
- The Lotus Sutra - 10 The Emergence of the Treasure Tower - 2 Many Treasures Thus Come One #023887