Symbols - What does heaven look like
Violets take on the symbolism of all flowers. They are symbols of shyness, modesty and humility – hence the expression ‘a shrinking violet’.
The Violet - Jane Taylor
Down in a green and shady bed,
A modest violet grew;
Its stalk was bent, it hung its head
As if to hide from view.
And yet it was a lovely flower,
Its colour bright and fair;
It might have graced a rosy bower,
Instead of hiding there.
Yet thus it was content to bloom,
In modest tints arrayed;
And there diffused a sweet perfume,
Within the silent shade.
Then let me to the valley go
This pretty flower to see;
That I may also learn to grow
In sweet humility
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Gardner, Ingrid - Up through the planets #013606
- Hafez of Shiraz - Thirty Poems - The rose has come into the garden #001737
- Morrells, Luce and flying on a magic carpet #003878
- Osty, Dr Eugene - Supernormal faculties in Man – M. de Fleuriere the importance of symbolism in understanding images of the past present and future, as well as character #025602
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 02 - 1 The Garden of Live Flowers #003725
- Wordsworth, William - The Lost Love - She dwelt among the untrodden ways #004901