Symbols - What does heaven look like
A Shield is the symbolism for any form of defensive action against a perceived threat. The colour of the shield and any pictures on it give us further clues as to either what is being defended or how we should be reacting. Sometimes the picture simply shows what ‘front’ we are projecting to others in order to hide something else.
- What is being defended - A black shield for example might be symbolic of the shadow world of the conscious. Thus we are protecting ourselves symbolically against attacks on our conscious selves.
- How we should be reacting - If we take the example of the colour red. Let us suppose the shield was made of Iron and was red in colour. Red and Iron are all symbolically associated with MARS, see Intelligence hierarchy and also Intelligences and their synonyms. MARS has the functions of courage and bravery thus we must use the attributes of MARS – courage and bravery to deal with what we seem to believe is threatening us. Given that one of the symbolic attributes of MARS is a shield, then any symbolic reference to a shield tends to incorporate the idea of the attributes of MARS
- The projected front – suppose the picture shows us a lion. A lion is brave and fearsome and majestic, it takes on some of the attributes of LEO. In effect, it is fearless and dominant, and it can also be charismatic. The natural lord and master of its territory. But all this may be a front. Behind this projected persona we may be a mouse of a person.
So the symbolism can be very complex. That same male lion may be being used as a symbol of the masculine principle which is that of the intellect and the will and the Conscious mind. So perhaps what we are being told is that we are defending the Will and the Personality at a time when we should actually be giving in – surrendering.
We have to take the context and all the symbolism included to get to the bottom of which of the above apply. The colours, for example, may indicate levels – see Levels and Layers correspondences. An example to help you……………
Boethius – The Consolation of Philosophy
Unmoved by fiery thunderbolts in flight
Which sweep in ruin towers on high
Why then are miserable men in awe
When tyrants rage impotently?
If first you rid yourself of hope and fear
You have disarmed the tyrant's wrath
But whosoever quakes in fear or hope
Drifting and losing mastery
Has cast away his shield, has left his place
And binds the chain with which he will be bound
So, you need to be unmoved by the effects of spiritual experiences which threaten your knowledge, memory and belief systems.
You have to get rid of any expectations and rid yourself of the fear of what may happen as this edifice of personality that you have built comes crashing down.
If you do, what happens during this process of what is, effectively, destruction is nowhere near as terrifying.
But if you are frightened, or if you keep on anticipating what might happen, you have effectively blown it, ‘lost mastery’.
You have thrown away the shield of courage you had and effectively destroyed the ladder of ‘ascent’ – so ‘the chain’ with which you will be bound is the very chain that will keep you ‘earthbound.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Cadmus #011426
- Celtic - Spoils of Annwn - 05 #013894
- Chichen Itza - Mayan - The Great Ball Court #011681
- Cohen, Leonard - Lover, lover, lover #008201
- Crowley - 3 The Empress #007489
- Crowley - 4 The Emperor #007491
- Delos - 06 Ivory plaque #022517
- Dionysos - Villa of Mysteries Pompei - The crystal ball #001248
- Jami - Since I am hit by slanders #015145
- Moreau - Venice 1885 #007844
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from On the Ascension #018812
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from The Second Discourse 01 #026002
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from The Second Seclusion 02 #025980
- Novalis – Heinrich von Ofterdingen #010839
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – Amazonian Cosmos - The shield #011623
- Rider-Waite - 3 The Empress #007488
- Rilke, Rainer Maria - 07 Second Elegy #015329
- Rumi - Divani Shamsi Tabriz - O heart What a wondrous bird art thou #000329
- Schuré - The Great Initiates – 01 Reconstruction of an Initiation ceremony #014102
- Song of Solomon 4 #008135
- Soustelle - Aztecs and Mexica - The Making of a High Priestess #011465
- Von Stuck, Franz - 1904 Wounded Amazon #019637
- Wesley, John - Sermon 72 - On Evil Angels #024649