Symbols - What does heaven look like
In order to fulfill their role in the overall task or activity of the Great Work, a person is equipped with attributes that are suited to the nature of the task – skills or abilities, personal characteristics, patience for example, or good humour or compassion, tolerance, gentleness, or maybe courage, resilience and so on. This is the Personality.
Astrologically this would be recognisable to most people as their birth chart – the 'time' and 'place' of birth deciding the characteristics one has. But this is just the apparent mathematical functioning that accounts for the allocation. The allocation is much more on the lines of a kit-bag of capabilities and skills that the person is able to draw on – charisma, perhaps or the ability to think logically.
The Personality thus allocated is symbolically known as the 'Mask' .
We see the symbolism of the mask used in a huge number of everyday festivals and events. The Venice carnival that takes place in February, for example, enables people to dress up in the clothes of the character they wish to portray and then don a mask matching the character chosen. February is almost equivalent in terms of the symbolism of the Spiritual path to the stage when this actually happens – March might be a little closer, but overall the end of February would be perfectly timed from a symbolic point of view [see Four seasons and the hours]. The dead who have endured the symbolic 'Winter' have been through all the stages of purification and relearning and are getting ready to burst into life again – to be born with the mask appropriate to the Body of Fate they have been allocated - the specific tasks of this incarnation.
The Tarot cards too employ the use of the Mask in a number of the cards, signifying symbolically the same thing.
W B Yeats – The Mask
"PUT off that mask of burning gold
With emerald eyes."
"O no, my dear, you make so bold
To find if hearts be wild and wise,
And yet not cold."
"I would but find what's there to find,
Love or deceit."
"It was the mask engaged your mind,
And after set your heart to beat,
Not what's behind."
"But lest you are my enemy,
I must enquire."
"O no, my dear, let all that be;
What matter, so there
Armande Rassenfosse – Le Masque
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Art can heal PTSD's invisible wounds TEDMED 2015 - Melissa Walker #023196
- Ancestors, the - Art - 9,000 year old Neolithic limestone mask #021710
- Attar, Fariduddin - Invocation #015211
- Caesar, Ray - The vision of his mother that helped him become an artist #013014
- Censorinus - De Die Natali #003561
- Chagall - Albertus Magnus #010253
- Cirlot on castles #004808
- Clare, John - Old customs, O I love the sound #005183
- Cohen, Leonard - There For You #023434
- Copan - Mayan - Stela D #011693
- Crowley - 5 The Hierophant #007493
- Degas - Harlequin and Colombina #007531
- Degas - The entrance of the masked dancers #007530
- Delos - 05 Bronze mask of Dionysos #022516
- Dionysos - Villa of Mysteries Pompei - The crystal ball #001248
- Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming - Qigong Meditation Embryonic Breathing - Know yourself #016638
- Eliot, T S - Four Quartets - 14 Little Gidding II #006051
- Frank Waters - Book of the Hopi - Initiation #000846
- Freddie Mercury and Queen - The Show Must Go On #022318
- G Catlin - Native American Indians - Rattling to heal #002221
- Goethe - Faust Part 1 #000267
- Jacquetta and Christopher Hawkes - The many forms of prehistoric man #021816
- Khnopff, Fernand - Maske #002610
- Lalla - Gourmet meals and elegant clothes can’t buy you peace of mind #020314
- Lalla - So many times I’ve drunk the wine of the Sindhu river #020306
- Lame Deer - Native American Indians - The Elk Dreamer #000291
- Levi-Strauss, Claude - Masks #014295
- Matisse - the Masks #007722
- Michaux, Henri - In the Land of Magic - Pulling off a face #004042
- Michaux, Henri - The Night Moves - All too often I become involved in law suits #004031
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Portrait of Madame Kisling #000020
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Beatrice Hastings #007748
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Female nude #007749
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Le grand nu #007752
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Marie daughter of the people #007757
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Nude on sofa #007750
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Oscar Miestchaninoff #007753
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Reclining nude #007751
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Reclining nude #007754
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Recumbent nude #007756
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Standing nude #007755
- Modigliani, Amedeo Clemente - Standing nude with garden background #007747
- Nerval, Gerard de - A marvellous vision #013732
- Rassenfosse, Armand - La Marchande Masque #001054
- Rassenfosse, Armand - Masque Rose #008014
- Rassenfosse, Armand - Nudes various #008012
- Redon, Odilon - the Flower series #008025
- Reverdy, Pierre - Entre deux mondes #000229
- Rilke, Rainer Maria - 18 Fourth Elegy #007216
- Rops, Felicien - Parodie humaine #010554
- Shaivism - Concepts and symbols - Mask and theatre #022504
- Sting - Shape of my Heart #003336
- Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) #023536
- The Clear Light Experience MDMA by MindTripper #020272
- Tikal - Mayan - Stela 16 #011712
- Tranströmer, Tomas - from Along the Lines (Far North) #025711
- Uruk - A Mask and a Tablet #022198
- Von Stuck, Franz - Cupid at the Masked Ball #019628
- W.Y. Evans-Wentz - The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries - The cocoon #014065
- Wang, Wen-Lu’s Embryonic Breathing method #016696
- Yeats, Georgie - A Vision - 2 Meditation #011844
- Yeats, Georgie - A Vision - On masks #001904
- Zimmer, Dr Heinrich - On the mask #006050