Symbols - What does heaven look like
Anyone on the spiritual path metaphorically ascends these rings climbing steadily upwards in a spiral. They ascend clockwise and descend anti-clockwise.
And this is the action of a spider as they build a web.
Thus one symbolic meaning of the web is that it is the spiritual path and the spider is our Higher spirit.
From this simple imagery we of course get all sorts of additional symbols like spider man and spider woman with their curls.
The symbolism is helped because the spider is industrious and hard working a feature needed for the spiritual path.
And it also perseveres, even if its web is damaged or it suffers a setback, it sets to and repairs the damage and doesn’t give in.
And there is also a connection with the wheel for exactly the same reason.
The spider as a symbol of the Higher spirit is in some ways rather apt. As we – the little soul fly or butterfly climbs towards the centre we are in many ways heading to our annihilation from a spiritual point of view. The end of the spiritual path is that we are consumed by the Higher spirit and thus as a personality no longer exist, the spider consumes the fly – or the butterfly if you prefer.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Aurelius, Marcus - Meditations - Fate #002340
- Aurelius, Marcus - Meditations - Fortune and the gods #003786
- Aurelius, Marcus - Meditations - The universe as one living creature #003778
- Bambara - the 'Sirius system' #011419
- Blake, William - But silken nets and traps of adamant #002346
- Cirlot on spiders #002341
- Crowley - 1 The Magician #007485
- Crowley - 12 The Hanged Man #007507
- Crowley - 15 The Devil #007514
- Crowley, Aleister - Book of Lies - Samson #012919
- Dali - The Dawn of a New Day #004612
- Engel,C - German folk myth #002344
- Goethe - Faust Part 1 #000271
- Goethe - Faust Part 1 #000272
- Goethe - Selected poems - In life like a flood, in deeds like a storm #000273
- Heywood, Rosalind - The Infinite Hive - There appeared a figure clothed in soft blues and greens and purples, infinitely benign and compassionate #023082
- Keats, John - The Tapestry of Life #002337
- Little Miss Muffet #007408
- Mayan - Hummingbird symbolism #007074
- Mellery, Xavier - Chute des dernieres feuilles d’Automne #002339
- Mircea Eliade - The Moon, Spiders, Fate and Destiny #010954
- Miro - A Dew Drop Falling from a Bird's Wing Wakes Rosalie, who Has Been Asleep in the Shadow of a Spider's Web #010617
- Mundaka Upanishad #007190
- Ogotommeli - Weaving #002386
- Ogotommeli - Weaving the universe #002345
- Oliver Sacks - Donald Fish has scary hallucinations #001579
- Plato - Cratylus - On weaving #004801
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – Amazonian Cosmos - Desana Creation Myth #011581
- Rimbaud, Arthur - After the idea of the Flood had receded #001956
- S'RÎMAD BHÂGAVATAM – Canto 11, Chapter 09 – The Great Work #024751
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Lady of Shallott #004602
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Morte d'Arthur - Then saw they how there hove a dusky barge #000223
- Yerka, Jacek and Radoslav A Tsanoff – The Ways of Genius #014764