Symbols - What does heaven look like
Snails take on the symbolism of the spiral.
The Order of Creation was a spiral commencing from the centre and the Ultimate Intelligence and proceeding outwards system by system. Thus a spiral can also be used in this context as representing creation.
By extension the anticlockwise movement represents destruction, whilst the clockwise movement represents creation.
Any spiral where movement has ceased - for example in the shell of a snail - thus represents a sort of stagnant state.
A Dictionary of Symbols – J E Cirlot
In Egyptian hieroglyphs the snail is associated with the action of the microcosmic spiral upon matter. Modern scientific research in morphology tends to verify this intuition, not only in this particular case but also in all cases where the spiral scheme appears in nature
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Alice in Wonderland - Ch 10 - 1 Lobster quadrille #010491
- Barker, Cicely Mary - The Snail #002579
- Chichen Itza - Mayan - Observatory 'the Snail' #011671
- Cirlot on spirals #002288
- Frost, Robert - Never tell me that not one star of all #007396
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Maze #002332
- Lethbridge, T C - A Step in the Dark – The spiral, the pendulum and ascension #021907
- Matisse - the Snail #007725
- Miro - Figure at Night guided by the phosphorescent tracks of Snails #010625
- Neruda, Pablo - I have conquered the angel of dream #015201