Symbols - What does heaven look like
Castles, houses, stately homes and man made constructions represent the Conscious, the Subconscious and the body combined - the complete edifice that can be looked on as us. It is a particularly good representation of the Personality. Occasionally you see the Higher spirit present as a symbolic ‘topping’ on the house, but the symbolism is not concerned about this specific area it is an allegory of us, in this life and what we have made of it.
In general the fabric of the building itself is symbolic of the body, whereas the interior is the ‘software’ that animates the body. This means that the lower rooms and the basement represent the Subconscious, whereas the upper rooms represent the Conscious self.
Whereas towers on a castle represent either Memory or perceptions and any accumulated experience, knowledge and wisdom, the castle interior and its layout is the ‘functional’ software – generally what we have learnt – Learnt function.
Thus the castle is what we tend to have built - the edifice around us, rather than what we were provided on birth. The exception of course being the Personality, which has a huge influence on the way we build the castle that is us. The castle is perhaps one of the best symbolic representations of the person themselves and their Personality, a sort of symbolic manifestation of the inner being
Castles and palaces
There is a very fine distinction between the symbolism of the palace and the symbol of the house or castle. Palaces represent the Intelligences, many books say they are the ‘home’ of the gods, but symbolically they are the ‘gods’; in effect palace and Intelligence are one and the same thing.
As one descends through the Intelligence hierarchy the palaces get smaller and smaller, as they are composed of fewer and fewer functions, as such a castle could be the home of a very minor Intelligences or even a simple Being. In effect, the power of the Spirit Entity determines the size of the structure. As such a castle that is gradually getting to look like a palace, is a person on their way to becoming a spiritually more significant figure.
Castles and ‘death’
Because castles are ‘of the body’, a castle exists only for one lifetime. Each time we build a new castle, and each time there is the expectation that we can perhaps make it ‘better’ than the last.
The fabric of the building
The fabric of the building is symbolic of the state of our bodies. As people age and move towards their death, they often ‘see’ visions of a crumbling structure turning back into dust.
Symbolically a castle or house, is ideal to represent the state of our bodies and what we have done to them over the years. If you ‘see’ a house like the one above, you really have something to worry about!
If the structure is symbolically by the sea, it will take on the symbolism of water and the deterioration resulting from age may result in ‘dissolution’ , it may get simply washed away.
I think it should be self evident that a ruin indicates a ruined body, or as J E Cirlot once said “Ruins are symbolically equivalent to biological mutilation”.
Often a vision can give us a better appreciation of what drugs or sorrow or depression, stress, or grief have done to us than a medical assessment!
An unfinished castle or house can symbolise a life unfinished. If you are shown an unfinished house, it signifies that there is still more work to be done. This has been a source of comfort to people who are seriously ill and may think they are dying, as it indicates that their time is not yet up.
The fabric can also be a hint that more time should be spent on the ‘interior’ – in effect we are shown an immaculate exterior, but the inside is a mess – meaning that the soul needs a bit of working on, even though the body is in good shape.
Castles, ‘roots’ and relationships
There are some castles that can also show you how two souls who are in love have built their lives together. The castle is thus a joint home representing the combined souls. This is only likely to be seen in a vision if the relationship is particularly intense.
Castles may also embody any deep family ties and family history – a sort of ancestral home.
The features of the fabric of the house
Exterior windows, doors, roofs, building materials, chimneys, portals and entrances, all show something of the person and their personality.
The design can be eccentric [eccentric person] or ponderous, solid or fragile [sickly person] – all of which are symbolic and meaningful. The castle can be a fortress with high walls [indicating a very private and defensive person], it can be entirely open with little in the way of defence at all.
“It was in the dwelling-places, created by different individuals, that I observed the most curious facts. By examining them I was able to follow the nature of the thoughts and feelings of their occupants. Some were simple, sober and in good taste, others large and luxurious. Many were furnished oddly, all the shapes corresponding with the mentalities of their creators”. [ Practical Astral projection – Yram]]
Personally I prefer a house made almost of glass and wood and mostly windows, but then houses like this tend to get terribly damaged during storms…………
Castles can be little flimsy affairs – which might mean you are a bit of a sensitive being, or they can be stately homes of enormous proportions – so you may have a solid ‘robust’ body.
As you can see, the castle has to be studied very closely, as it can incorporate a wealth of other symbolism, all of which tell you something about the person or yourself.
Windows, gates and doors
The body has nine orifices – two eyes, two ears, a nose, a mouth, the anus, the bladder exits and the genital orifice. For every single one, the symbolism used is of a Window, Gate or Door of some kind. The symbolism is a little confusing, it cannot be taken out of context in this case. Windows, gates and doors related to houses are representing an orifice. Windows, gates and doors unconnected with a house are representing Portals in the more generic sense.
There is an additional ‘gate’ and that is the gate to the spiritual world – the gate through to the composer, some Chinese sages talk of the 5 outer gates [lower levels are not included] and the one inner gate.
In all symbolic representations the windows are the eyes – the ‘windows on the soul’. Smoke can be symbolic of thoughts ‘going to heaven’ [the perceptions as they travel up the vibrational levels] , so in this case, the chimney is the carrier of thoughts…..
Castles can be rambling disorganised affairs, which usually means you are not that well organised, - not very ‘systematic’ or they can be ordered neat arrangements all nicely organised and accessible by numerous doors and windows. Which simply means that - you are an organised, open, logical and well organised soul.
Searching rooms means searching for something or somebody – a memory or a function - you want or have lost, it can also mean the symbolic search to understand yourself and the symbolic search for other ‘parts’ of you.
The upper floors represent the Conscious mind [and higher spirit] The ground floor and the basement are the levels corresponding to the Subconscious mind. Most eastern philosophers believe we tend to be ruled by our subconscious, even though we may use behavioural functions to control it, thus a stroll around the ground floor and especially a descent to the basement and the ‘crypt’ may be quite an eye opener.
“The ruler lives on the ground of the mind. As long as essential nature is there, the ruler is there; when nature is gone, the ruler is not there. When essential nature is there, body and mind exist; when essential nature is gone, the body decomposes”
Many people choose to ‘do the dive’ [see types of spiritual experience] but doing the dive is possible within the symbolic reference of the castle. C G Jung went down to the crypt in his ‘house’.
The levels and layers – earth, water, underworld and so on – can even become floors in the house or castle. We saw that these were the basic layers and there can be any number more depending on how much software has been accumulated or learnt and how good the visionary is at differentiating levels.
As you descend lower and lower and lower into the basement and even further you start to delve deep into the subconscious and the functions of the underworld and hell – your fears, your obsessions, your dislikes and hates, evil acts, evil deeds.
Castle rooms take on the symbolism of all Rooms.
Stairs within a castle describe 'ascent' or of course 'descent'. They can be symbolic of the mystic's path or they can be simply representative of life's labours and challenges – the co-creative task you feel you have been given.
The contents of the house also have significance. They are a rather subtle indication of the richness and complexity of the character. Thus, if the house is full of furniture and ‘interesting’ objects then the person has collected 'attributes' - evolved their personality to add capabilities and characteristics.
On the other hand an empty room is not a bad indication, it can mean a clean sweep – a new broom, a fresh start in life.
Every object has its own symbolism. Thus whatever is found will need to be taken as being a symbolic object in its own right, thus for example, scissors are symbolic, crabs are symbolic, pots are symbolic, candles are symbolic and so on, but there is a difficulty here because much of the symbolism of objects is culture specific. An empty water pot in India means something different to an empty water pot in Europe.
Not all is symbolic - many paintings may mean what it seems to mean – the person either has developed a love of art or has learnt how to paint .
Artefacts and ancestral memories
One of the more intriguing aspects of the artefacts found in houses is that they can be related to ancestral memories – your history - and by analysing the artefacts found you may be able to find out something of your ancestral memories and even ‘wounds’ that are still affecting your life.
The inhabitants of the castle may simply indicate the friendships you have and your attitude to friendship. If the house is full of nice people, for example, it may well mean you have filled your life with friendship. A house devoid of all people can also indicate the reverse, a rather lonely person. But more often, the inhabitants are symbolic of aspects of you, parts of your own personality.
Where you find the castle is important. If you find a castle at a 'low level' and it appears a dingy frightening place then your software – what you have learnt and created - is destructive to you and harmful possibly to others
Many castles are 'seen' surrounded by water or moats, rivers and lakes. All this indicates is that your castle has been built at the level of water [as opposed to hell, the underworld, or in the air].
The higher the level, the more useful and constructive the software created, hence one at the earth or water level – perhaps on an island is useful but fairly neutral, whereas a Castle in the air is probably the ultimate castle to find – a real achievement.
“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be” [Henry D. Thoreau – Walden]
Many film makers and writers have picked up on the visions that perhaps they themselves have had or the documented visions available from older sources. The film Laputa: Castle in the Sky is possibly the most beautiful film and was written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and created by Studio Ghibli, it won the Animage Anime Grand Prix in 1986. The name Laputa comes from the name of the floating island in Jonathan Swift's novel Gulliver's Travels.
You may also find castles being built on rocks and crags indicating both an impregnable fortress, but strength and solidity of will.
In effect it may show a certain aloofness, but it can also show strength of character and strength of will.
Castles, moving house and past lives
A castle is not just a reflection of the current soul's state and progress, but also a reflection of past lives. Past lives are reflected within ‘towers of perception’- the towers being a store house of past events and thus able to influence the way the castle has been built.
In a huge number of legends and myths as well as visions and dreams, there is also the symbolism of the person 'moving house'.
Allegorically this means they die and are then born again - reincarnate. They then build on this new castle.
The Higher spirit with its perceptions leaves the body and travels to a new castle, so in effect the Higher spirit finds a new body. This is often explained allegorically by the use of means of transport – horses and carts, chariots. There is the implication in all the legends that the perceptions the person has acquired move with the person – this is told allegorically by saying the person takes his 'furniture' with him.
There are numerous other symbolically meaningful things which can be found in a castle, which makes the man made structure an exceptionally helpful symbol. The thickness of the walls, for example, indicate to what extent you have built protective walls around yourself and how alienated you find yourself from others or society. [It can also indicate you are ‘thick skinned!].
Great ramparts with numerous defensive walls probably mean that you feel detached from the world and have built up a layer of defensive software and behaviour patterns to protect yourself, these may have been built up over the years as a result of the experiences you have had with people.
Castles are a very rich source of symbolic meaning.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A Battle for Earth's Existence Amanita muscaria & Belladonna by sleepwalker EROWID #020114
- Al-Ghazzali - The Alchemy of Happiness - 20 Death, the soul and immortal soul #018786
- Alice in Wonderland - Ch 04 - 4 The Lizard flies #011111
- Alice in Wonderland - Ch 06 - 4 Cheshire cat #011119
- Benjamin, Walter - On Hashish - Out of the cracks grow great tufts of hair #004324
- Bhagavad Gita - Never the spirit was born #013476
- Bhagavad Gita - Ruler of the nine gated castle #004330
- Blithe spirit - Thought palaces in pink and gold #004371
- Boethius - The Consolation of Philosophy - The careful man will wish #003148
- Book of Enoch- 14 #022966
- Braveheart - Enters a castle #004341
- Braveheart - A long shamanic journey #000820
- Braveheart - Forest of bright birds #005688
- Braveheart - Lifting tree trunks #001898
- Braveheart - Mirror #005689
- Braveheart - Pencil case soldier and YORK #004529
- Braveheart - Warnings of a rebirth #004134
- Browning, Robert - Abt Vogler #003356
- Browning, Robert - Love in a Life #004333
- Buddha - Quote - The mind has attained to the extinction of all desires #003247
- Burne-Jones, Edward - Love among the Ruins #001004
- Cadmus #011426
- Castles in the air #004339
- Celtic - Spoils of Annwn - 01 #013890
- Celtic - Spoils of Annwn - 02 #013891
- Celtic - Spoils of Annwn - 03 #013892
- Celtic - Spoils of Annwn - 04 #013893
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Fifth Day - Commentary #005848
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The First Day #010650
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Second Day #010651
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Third Day #008252
- Chesterton, G K - The ballad of the White Horse #003722
- Christmas cocktail #004422
- Cirlot on castles #004808
- Cocteau, Jean - Opium the Diary of his cure - Atoms #003879
- Cocteau, Jean - Opium the Diary of his cure - The dead drug leaves a ghost behind #003880
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor - Youth and Old Age #011084
- Comenius - On Death #020654
- Custance, John - Adventure into the Unconscious - The house as castle #001930
- Dadd, Richard - Crazy Jane #004505
- Dickinson, Emily - A house upon the height That wagon never reached #004328
- Dickinson, Emily - Did our best moment last ‘Twould supersede the heaven #003882
- Dickinson, Emily - I sued the news, yet feared the news #004323
- Dickinson, Emily - The Winters are so short #013568
- Dickinson, Emily - The inundation of the Spring Enlarges every soul #006628
- Dorn, Gerhard - from Philosophia speculativa #016003
- Dorothy Counts  - Near Death and Out of Body Experiences in a Melanesian Society – Andrew #026990
- Egyptian Book of the Dead - Spell 078 #007011
- Escher - Ascending Descending #007585
- Escher - Metarmophoses II #007577
- Flamel, Nicolas - Uraltes chymisches Werk A Eleazar 1760 #015967
- Fleetwood Mac - Sara #021514
- Frost, Robert - Builder, in building the little house #001707
- Frost, Robert - I dwell in a lonely house I know #001274
- Frost, Robert - The house had gone to bring again #004326
- Frost, Robert - What if it should turn out eternity #004329
- Frost, Robert - Where had I heard this wind before #015314
- Gall bladder operation near death #005225
- Gentling the Bull – 06 Returning home on the back of the Bull #011773
- Gerhardie, William - Resurrection 08 - 2nd OBE #010916
- Gershom Scholem – On the Kabbalah and its symbolism - Tikkun Hatsoth #014925
- Getting rid of the heroin demon #001007
- Goryeo sijo - Sin Hum 03 #027071
- Grant Gronewald - HTML flowers - Anywhere I lay my head #012666
- Grant Gronewald - HTML flowers - Dawn in the greenhouse #012661
- Grant Gronewald - HTML flowers - Endless mansion #012660
- Green, Celia - The Recurrent nightmare #002025
- Healer H - I’m the Fagan with the kids #000852
- Healer H - A ring of daisies forming a daisy chain #000854
- Healer H - Babies everywhere #000853
- Healer H - Having a board meeting #000875
- Heine, Heinrich - And with love's slight subtle meshes #002628
- Heine, Heinrich - It is the fairy forest old #002631
- Heine, Heinrich - The North Sea - Myself am moved by the secret #002621
- Hiroshige’s bell #003577
- Hobson, Dr Allan - An interesting dream #014246
- Hobson, Dr Allan - The effects of a stroke 03 - A monkey mama is floating in the air in front of him #014250
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell - The chambered nautilus #004325
- How sweet the heavens are #004590
- Hughes, Ted - Crow - Crow decided to try words #000121
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - Their abodes have become decayed #013408
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - Halt at the abodes and weep over the ruins #013418
- Ikkyu - My hovel #016276
- Into The Flood Ibogaine, iboga Total Aklaloid Extract by Xorkoth #017437
- Jami - SALÁMÁN AND ABSÁL – from Part II #015152
- Jesus - Luke 6 - Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you #013429
- Jili, Abd al-Karim - Al-Kahf wa al-raqim - 042 Section 3 #013463
- Jones, Sir William - Caissa #005886
- Kabir - I laugh when I hear that the fish in the water is thirsty #013474
- Kabir - What comes out of the harp? Music #003339
- Kandinsky, Wassily - Image Composition VII - 1913 #003440
- Keats, John - The Tapestry of Life #002337
- Keightley, Thomas - The myth of Iskrzycki #011259
- Khunrath, Heinrich - Amphitheatrum sapientiae aeterna 1602 #016039
- Khunrath, Heinrich - Vom hylealischen Chaos 1708 #016036
- Kings 7 - The Temple, Jachin and Boaz #007374
- Klimt - landscapes various #007673
- Kristofferson, Kris - 1970 Darby's Castle #025102
- Lalla - Sunlight shines everywhere equally #004488
- Lewis, C S - Dawn Treader - The underwater city #001217
- Li Po - The Guild of Good Fellowship #012852
- Lowry, L S - Derelict house #015413
- Magritte, Rene - La Poitrine #001575
- Magritte, Rene - The Castle of the Pyrenees #001572
- Masefield, John - Shakespeare and spiritual life #003505
- Masters and Houston - Castle and forest #004342
- Masters and Houston - On Castles #004335
- Michaux, Henri - Miserable Miracle Mescaline - Down the vault #002038
- Michaux, Henri - Miserable Miracle Mescaline - Kneader, crusher, crumbler #002410
- Michaux, Henri - Miserable Miracle Mescaline - The jerking building #004036
- Michaux, Henri - Towards Serenity #004032
- Millais, John Everett - Mariana in the moated grange #007742
- Monroe, Robert - Locale II out of body #003607
- Moody Blues - House of Four Doors #012020
- Morrells, Luce and granny's room #004322
- Morrells, Luce and the Amazing airy house #002039
- Morrells, Luce and the angel of annihilation #016621
- Morrells, Luce and the horseshoe shaped island #003168
- Morrells, Luce and the large house surrounded by water #000841
- Morrells, Luce and two houses on a hill #000262
- Mudang spiritual experiences – The traumatic life of the mudang Park Myung-soon #027174
- Near death and the unfinished house #004327
- Near death from Freon #002132
- Nerval, Gerard de - 02 La Reve et Vie #013737
- Nietzsche - On the Genealogy of Morals - If a temple is to be erected, a temple must be destroyed #006084
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from Discourse on the excellence of song #018816
- Osis and Haraldsson #002736
- Osis and Haraldsson #002738
- Parker, Shelley E - A premonition of her fiance's death #014513
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Dream of 20th July 1954 #019966
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Dream of October 1949 #019658
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Dream, 28th August 1954 #019967
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Letter [Zollikon-Zurich] 25th October 1946 [Handwritten] #019960
- Pauli, Wolfgang - The Dream of the Flaming Mountain #019744
- Pauli, Wolfgang - The Dream of the New Church #019743
- Peake, Mervyn - Love's House #001056
- Pinchbeck, Daniel - Ten years of therapy in one night – 04 #017466
- Piranesi s fever #002040
- Po Chu-I - The Ruined Home #012871
- Poe, Edgar Allen - The Haunted Palace #005040
- Poetic Edda - The Song of Rig [extract] #004337
- Prasna Upanishad #001997
- Proverbs 24 #014618
- Proverbs 9 #007407
- Quincey, Thomas de - Cities and temples, beyond the art of Phidias and Praxiteles #003739
- Rabbi Joshua ben Nehemiah - Agape #001900
- Rebirth aftermath #004142
- Rene Magritte and J H M Whiteman #010507
- Rilke, Rainer Maria - 31 Seventh Elegy #000188
- Rimbaud, Arthur - O seasons, O chateaux, Who possesses a perfect soul #000004
- Rimbaud, Arthur - There; the little dead girl, behind the rosebushes #001951
- Rolling Stones - I stood and held your hand #003828
- Rolling Stones - The Lantern #012092
- Rudimentum Noviciorum #004421
- Rumi - Misc - Love is the Treasure #001402
- Russell, George William - Song and its Fountain #004769
- Ruzbihan Baqli – The Unveiling of Secrets – In the form of Adam #017000
- Saadi - The Gulistan of Sa‘di – 04 from the Cause for composing the Rose garden #015274
- Samavedas – 01 Book 04 Chapter 01, DECADE I Indra and others #017300
- Samavedas – Book 07 Chapter 03, XII Soma Pavamana #017622
- Schwabe, Carlos - Pelleas and Melisande #008078
- Sebastian Horsley - Trip of a lifetime #017448
- Sefer ha-bahir – Para 14 – The letter Bet #014834
- Sefer ha-bahir – Para 37 – The Patach #014835
- Shaikh Muhammad Karim Khan Kirmani - Irshad al-‘awamm - Eight degrees of Paradise #000380
- Shaikh Muhammad Karim Khan Kirmani - Irshad al-‘awamm - Landscapes of the mind #000367
- Shakespeare, William - Poor Soul, the centre of my sinful earth #003513
- Spencer, Stanley - Symbolism 13 - Garden, Greenhouse and onions #019398
- Sri Aurobindo - 03 Book III Canto II - 02 #013708
- Sri Aurobindo - 07 Savitri Book VII Canto II #013705
- Sri Aurobindo - The Guest #013726
- Suso, Henri - The Upper School and the science of Perfect Self-abandonment #000850
- Tagore, Rabindranath - Song XXXXX to XXXXXII, Gitanjali #011035
- Tagore, Rabindranath - The Gardener - Ah me, why did they build my house by the road #011045
- Taoism - The body as a castle and city #016663
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Mariana - All day within the dreamy house #000216
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Mariana - With blackest moss the flower pots #000213
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Will - O well for him whose will is strong #000217
- The Book of Taliesin - Marwnat Madawg - Llyfr Taliesin XLI #013934
- The Book of Taliesin - The Battle Of the Trees - 03 #013923
- The Lotus Sutra - 03 Simile and Parable - 3 The Parable of the Burning House #023873
- The Manuals of Taoist Sexual Practise – Ten Questions 08 #017845
- The NDE of the man from Western New Britain, Melanesia #021114
- The Secret of the Golden Flower - 01 The Celestial Mind #016489
- The Secret of the Golden Flower - 06 Authenticating experiences of turning the light around #016494
- The Sutra of Hui-Neng - Cities and castles #004331
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 01 #016004
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 03 #016006
- There was a crooked man #011174
- This is the house that Jack built #008192
- Thompson, Francis - An anthem of Earth #000860
- Thoreau, Henry D - Walden - Simplification as a key to life #001844
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 01 - 2 Making memorandums #000873
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 02 - 1 The Garden of Live Flowers #003725
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 03 - 1 Looking glass insects #004321
- Tranströmer, Tomas - A Place in the Woods #025709
- Tranströmer, Tomas - Open and Closed Space #025700
- Tranströmer, Tomas - from The Scattered Congregation #025707
- Trine, R W - In tune with the Infinite - Castles in the air #004340
- Tulsidas - Kavitavali 07:120 #017277
- Valerian, insomnia and anxiety #010367
- Vaughan, Dr Alan – Key events of life appear in dreams often years in advance, woven ln an intricate web of time #025111
- Vaughan, Thomas - Aula Lucis #015939
- Wadsworth Longfellow, Henry - The Builders #000192
- Wadsworth Longfellow, Henry - The Builders #000193
- Waller, Edmund - On the foregoing Divine Poems #015241
- Water always water #004957
- Waterhouse, John William - I am half sick of shadows said the Lady of Shallott #006318
- Whiteman, J H M goes back down the well #007959
- Whitman, Walt - Faces - The Lord advances and yet advances #001963
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - Hurrah for positive science #010996
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - Perfume #004415
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - Shall I make my list of things in the house #001966
- Wordsworth, William - Elegiac Stanzas - I would have planted thee, thou hoary Pile #000196
- Yerka, Jacek and Etty Hillesum – An Interrupted Life #014754
- Yerka, Jacek and M Kathleen Casey – The Promise of a New day #014755
- Yerka, Jacek and Radoslav A Tsanoff – The Ways of Genius #014764
- Yerka, Jacek and Raymond Moody - Judgement #014766
- Yerka, Jacek and Samuel Pepys - Diary 1665 #014757
- Yerka, Jacek and William Ernest Henley - Margaritae Sorori I M #014749
- Yram - On castles #004334
- Zohar - II 099a-b - An allegory of princes and princesses #014850