Search Definitions and symbolism
Brain Split (Left brain and right brain functions)
We can look at ourself from a left brain, right brain perspective and this split is shown below. The right brain contains the female principle and the left brain contains the male principle. Normally if you are right handed you will be left brained. If you are left handed you will be right brained, although it may not always work this way. Click the link if you would like to know which side of the brain is dominant with you.
All the functions above have been defined apart from a few. For definitions of these functions see:
The male principle
The left brain largely contains the functions of the intellect we can see in the diagram. On the whole it is unemotional – cool and straightforward, and fairly controlled. Good in a crisis.
It includes logic and reason and memory. It is good at deduction and analysis and inference - working bottom up from observations and seeing patterns or working out classes that can be used again and again. This side is thus a creative side, because it understands system. This is where we find the engineers, the computer people, the medics, the scientists, the lawyers, and the people who make the train timetables!
Without the left brainers we would still be living in skins and scratching the earth for food. We would have been cold and miserable and hungry and dirty. In fact we may not have been here at all, because we wouldn’t have become organised enough to survive. The left brain has been a gift of untold usefulness to us as human beings and we have both used and abused it. To be a co-creator, you use the left brain. To create systems this is what you need. We have become more left brained because this is what was wanted – it was part of the objectives of creation. But there is a but and there always is.
The left brain is not, on the whole, interested in beauty or laughter, joy or compassion. They will design a car, but it will not be aesthetically pleasing – it will just work. They don’t even understand what the right brainers are talking about when it comes to beauty. Architects who are very left brained design tower blocks so ugly, they scar the landscape. A left brained doctor may treat a person medically, but they won’t be able to see the person as a human being with feelings, only a system needing maintenance. The left brain is also lacking in inspiration – it slogs away to get results, it doesn’t get that flash of inspiration that means a eureka moment.
Anyone who is very left brained also tends to be a bit dull, the curiosity dimmed, the fun is lacking, the empathy gone, which means they may be logical but they can end up very poor company. They will also make poor scientists because they don’t really look or see or truly observe.
At worst we also have selfishness, because without any balancing from the female side of the brain we also have a person who is by nature cunning and tricky with strong self awareness and a strong ego. Financial people, market makers and bankers, for example.
A strong left brainer has no hope of ever getting a spiritual experience, they won’t even admit the existence of the spirit world. All a disaster - no hope of ever meeting their higher spirit or getting any form of spiritual experience at all. People who are very left brained don’t even dream that much.
The female principle
The right brain contains the emotions and the feelings. It also is the seat of inspiration, imagination, intuition and artistic creativity [painting, music, sculpture, poetry etc]. The right brainer loves beauty and is aesthetically highly developed.
So here we also have a co-creator but a very disorganised one. Most right brainers need a left brainer to get their creations into the public eye – a patron. They are useless at spotting patterns, useless at being on time or organised. They can appear frivolous, irrational, even rude and erratic to a left brainer and a bit untrustworthy because they are pleasure seeking – like a child. A real left brainer regards anyone who is very right brained as being a parasite on society because they produce nothing that the left brainer would regard as ‘useful’.
Their memory is, on the whole, not as good as the left brainer, it isn’t absent, it just seems to be a different kind of memory based on [principally] symbols and images. Perceptions seem to be better. But because the logical and reasoning side can be a bit weak, they can be just a dash dippy. At best somewhat innocent, at worst gullible. And unable to do their tax returns.
But boy can they love and feel and care. Sexually they are like a powerhouse and can be almost insatiable, they throw themselves into love affairs with every part of their soul and they really love. And they love lots of things – children especially, animals, strong organised men and women [the parents for the child in them]. Their attachments are real and strong, but they don’t understand the concept of fidelity, they just love. If it goes wrong they die a little. A right brainer can die of a broken heart.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Zohar - Bamidbar 121A - Union #014841
- Beuys, Joseph - How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare 01 #021057
- Böcklin, Arnold - The Sanctuary of Hercules 1884 #024388
- Celtic – Using reverberating sound and chanting to induce trance states – the role of the megalithic structures and barrows #022605
- Commentary on the paper by Jahn, Robert G., et al; Acoustical Resonances of Assorted Ancient Structures, Technical Report PEAR 95002, Princeton University, March 1995 #022604
- Crowley - 15 The Devil #007514
- Damasio, Professor Antonio - Systems of communication and Inner speech #014822
- Damasio, Professor Antonio - The lying memory #011008
- Dr Iain McGilchrist - The divided brain #014511
- Dr John Upledger #007820
- Goya, Francisco - The sleep of reason produces monsters #002618
- Green, Lennart - Close up card magic TED #014233
- Hazlitt, William - Cleverness vs wisdom #013198
- I thought I was going to die #017874
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - O driver of the reddish-white camels #013417
- Jean Noblet, Hebreo and Payen - 15 The Devil #007515
- Joyce, James - Ulysses - Nirvana #004375
- Left brain right brain creativity and CES #006509
- Levitin, Professor Daniel - On dream recording #002007
- Low Doses of Dipropyltryptamine in Psychotherapy - Interview 8 #017534
- Mayan – Using reverberating sound and chanting to induce trance states #022606
- Parker, Shelley E - A premonition of her fiance's death #014513
- Ramachandran, Dr V S - The distortion of perceptions to fit belief systems #013531
- Rider-Waite - 15 The Devil #007513
- Simon, Paul - Maybe I think too much #017588
- Song of Solomon 2 #008133
- Stockham, Alice Bunker - Karezza - Masculine and feminine principles and the need for balance #013814
- TED talk - Temple Grandin - The world needs all kinds of minds #015188
- TMS and manic depression #006486
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - For woman is not undeveloped man #013817
- The Means of achieving spiritual experience - Shaivism – 19 Reverberating sound and chanting #022603
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 01 #016004
- Tzu, Lao - Fine weapons of war augur evil #013139
- Vaughan, Dr Alan – My psychic state while hooked up to a brainwave analyzer #025065