Jesus - Luke 13 - A Crippled Woman Healed on the Sabbath
Type of Spiritual Experience
In addition to the example and according to the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus performed many exorcisms of demons. The accounts in the Synoptic Gospels are:
- The boy possessed by a demon at Capernaum - Jesus exorcised the boy and forbad the demon from informing people that he was the "Holy One of God". (Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:31-37)
- Jesus drove out evil spirits with a word. (Matthew 8:8, 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-39; Luke 4:33-41)
- The man possessed by demons at Gerasenes, whom the people had tried to chain up but had escaped, lived in caves, and roamed the hills, screaming. Jesus asked the man's name, but was told by the man/demons that his name was Legion, "...for we are many"; then Jesus exorcised the demons into a group of swine. (Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8:26-39)
- Jesus drove a demon out of a mute man who then spoke, the Pharisees needless to say said it was by the power of the devil. (Matthew 9:32-34, Mark 3:20-22)
- A Canaanite or phoenician woman in Tyre asked Jesus to heal her daughter, but Jesus said "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." The woman replied, "Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table," whereupon Jesus told her that her daughter was healed, and when the woman returned home she finds that this is true. (Matthew 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30)
- A boy possessed by a demon is brought forward to Jesus straight after Jesus' transfiguration, who foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, becomes rigid, - Jesus' followers cannot expel the demon, and Jesus condemns the people as unbelieving, but when the father of the boy questions if Jesus can heal the boy, Jesus says everything is possible for those that believe, so the father says he believes that the boy could be healed, and Jesus does so. (Matthew 17:14-21, Mark 9:14-29, Luke 9:37-49)
- Jesus drove seven demons out of Mary Magdalene! (Mark 16:9, Luke 8:2)
A description of the experience
Luke 13 - A Crippled Woman Healed on the Sabbath
10On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues,
11and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all.
12When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity."
13Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.
14Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler said to the people, "There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath."
15The Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water?
16Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?"
The source of the experienceJesus
Concepts, symbols and science items
Activities and commonsteps
SuppressionsBelieving in the spiritual world
Squash the big I am