A useful concept to be found in Hindu cosmology and not related to the Trinity.
The Trimurti (English: ‘three forms’; Sanskrit: त्रिमूर्ति trimūrti) describes the three main functions of the Great Work -- creation, maintenance, and destruction.
They are personified by the forms of the Ultimate Intelligence - the creator, the maintainer or preserver, and the destroyer or transformer. These three deities are also called the creator, preserver and destroyer respectively.
One type of depiction for the Trimurti shows three heads on one neck, and often even three faces on one head, each looking in a different direction. There is room here therefore for confusion, as the same symbol can be used for Janus.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Agassiz, Louis – Essay on Classification – Creation and destruction are different from maintenance #024942
- Atharvaveda - XII 1 Hymn to goddess Earth - Part 06 Purification #015863
- Bloomfield, William - The Dreame of Mr Blomefeild #016000
- Guru Granth - Bilaval 01 #017091
- Henry Corbin - Spiritual Body and Celestial Earth - Zoroastrian cosmology #022297
- Indus valley - Harappa - 04 Seals and script #022622
- Indus valley - Mohenjo-Daro - 07 The Pashupati Seal #022568
- Indus valley - Mohenjo-Daro - 08 The Hierophant #022614
- Intelligences - ELEMENTS EARTH MOTHER Ninhursag #022104
- Intelligences - TRINITY CREATOR AND CREATED Enlil and Ninlil #022217
- Karnataka and South India - 02 Temple architecture #022637
- Karnataka and South India - 04 Bhoga Nandeeshwara and Arunachaleswara Temples #022639
- Lalla - We’ve been here before, we’ll be here again #020305
- Leibniz - The Best of all Worlds #020566
- Lemaitre, Georges - The Primeval atom - The Laws of aggregation and repulsion #020556
- Malta - 07 The Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni #022489
- North Whitehead, Alfred – God #025747
- North Whitehead, Alfred – The essential nature of Destruction as a process #025748
- Pauli, Wolfgang - Letter [Zollikon-Zurich] 28th October 1946 [Handwritten] #019961
- S'RÎMAD BHÂGAVATAM – Canto 10, Chapter 03 – The birth of Krishna #024744
- Shaivism - Concepts and symbols - The Dance #022500
- Shaivism - Concepts and symbols - Trimurti #022488
- Sikhism – Japji 09 #017192
- Tulsidas - Kavitavali 07:183 #017280
- Tulsidas - Vinaya Patrika 08 #017271
- Tulsidas - Vinaya Patrika 48 #017274