Common steps and sub-activities
Restraining your use of power
One of the big blocks to spiritual experience for anyone is the presence of obligations – having to do things for other people.
We have to cook meals for our family, fill in our tax form for the government, order groceries in order that our family can eat, and so on. And sometimes it is other people who keep on asking us to do something for them. They use their power over us to force us to keep on doing things and by doing them we never have time to do anything other than work for other people.
It is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to helping people have spiritual experiences as the pressure put upon people leaves them exhausted and unable to relax enough to communicate with the spiritual world.
There is a method on the website that helps us to pare down obligations, but we also need to be aware that we need to reciprocate – that we must not exert undue power over other people constantly asking them to do things for us – making them feel as if they are under an obligation to help us. It is the misuse of any power we may have that is important here.
Do as we would be done by.
And if you cease to do it, you may make a few more friends!
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Gladstone, William Ewart - Suppressing obligations - Restraining your use of power
- James - James 5 verses 1 to 20
- Jesus - Luke 6 - Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you
- Jesus - Matthew 5 : 01 - Blessed are the poor in spirit
- Louis Jacolliot - The Bible in India - 04 The Story of Krishna: Preaching the law/disciples/Ardjuna and Sarawasta
- Louis Jacolliot - The Bible in India - The Thoughts and maxims of Krishna
- Nietzsche - Twilight of the Idols - Learning to see, habituating the eye to repose
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from The Second Discourse 02
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from The Third Discourse 01 On the changing world
- Peckover, Priscilla Hannah – quote from Peace and Goodwill, A sequel to the Olive leaf
- Songs of Flying Dragons – Dedication, Destiny and Serving the common man
- Songs of Flying Dragons – Reducing obligations, Justice and forgiveness
- Songs of Flying Dragons – Reducing threats and employing justice
- Songs of Flying Dragons – Though he was busy with war, he loved the way of the scholar
- Songs of Flying Dragons – Worshipping that which is bigger than us all
- Steiner, Rudolf - How to Know Higher Worlds - Exercising your will
- Steiner, Rudolf - How to Know Higher Worlds - The lust for power and how to combat it
- Steiner, Rudolf - Nature spirits - The misuse of power
- Tarot - 05 Minor Arcana - 05s Adversity [purification]
- Tarot - 06 Minor Arcana - 04s Power and Desire [Intellect]
- Tirrukural, the - Book 1 Affability
- Tirrukural, the - Book 1 from Social Obligation
- Tirrukural, the - Book 1 Wrath
- Tirrukural, the - Book 2 The Unswerving Sceptre
- Wesley’s Britain in the 1700s - Curbing the abuse of power
- Wotton, Sir Henry - Character of a happy life