Symbols - What does heaven look like
The fox takes on the symbolism of all animals.
It is thus just one of the many roles shamans used to achieve ‘ecstatic experience’. There is thus a link here with both body image distortion and shape shifting both of which can occur during an out of body experience. The fox is thus yet another means of transport.
In the Middle Ages the fox obtained a very bad name, both symbolically and practically, as most farming people associated the fox with its ability to kill their chickens. This was made yet more unfortunate because the cock in particular is an extremely important bird symbolically. In effect the Cock and the Fox become adversaries.
A Dictionary of Symbols – J E Cirlot
A common symbol for the devil during the Middle Ages, expressive of base attitudes and of the wiles of the adversary
So there you are, a fox is a wily old shaman!
But there is something fascinating about this split between the Cock and the Fox. If you glance for a moment at the stages of the spiritual path, they can be viewed as splitting into two.
The early stages to the right of this wheel show the shamanic path, often involving a certain number of overload based activities. Once rebirth has taken place, however, the path becomes that of the mystic. The right hand side leads to reincarnation and is the symbolic path of the Moon, the left hand side leads to no reincarnation and is the path to the Sun. The Cock represents that path to dawn and the mystic path. If we follow the symbolism, the fox is the path of reincarnation and the route to the Moon.
If you look at the Tarot card for the Moon, this symbolism is incorporated, one of the animals barking at the Moon is a fox.
Theoretically therefore the two are enemies. But if we turn to a system like the Tibetan Buddhist system we can see that they have actually been married rather successfully, although there is always a little tension between the two .....
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Ancient Egyptian - The symbolism of the four sons of Horus #014131
- Beuys, Joseph - Animals and Insects #021063
- Cannabis and morning glory seeds - by Waking dream #015586
- Degas - Rider in a Red Coat #007529
- Genesis - Foxtrot - And a comment by Peter Gabriel #014929
- I became a fox in a meadow #007120
- Jami - Nafahat al-Uns - The Naqshbandis are the chiefs of the caravan #015143
- Mayan - Popol Vuh - 04 The Creation of the First humans #011632
- Song of Solomon 2 #008133
- Songs of Valley Spirit 03 #016754
- Stone, Ruth - The Pear #021859
- The Sundering of the Veil MDMA & 1P-LSD by Brother23 #020266
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 03 #016006
- Zen Poetry: Let the Spring Breeze Enter - Chifu #016302