Symbols - What does heaven look like
First, a dragon has to be seen in context to understand its meaning. Stand-alone, fearsome creatures are often symbolically demons and not dragons at all.
If the dragon is' guarding treasure' and is encountered rather than entered, then it is simpy a form of guardian, not a dragon at all.
But if the dragon is a dragon, and is fire breathing, then a dragon is the source of one of the three energy channels in the kundalini experience. The fire then represents the violence of some kundalini experiences, and is also intended to show the dangerous nature of the experience unless controlled. It may be a dragon with two heads as a consequence [Ida and Pingala] or it may be one with three heads [Ida, Pingala and Sushumna] or it may be one with only one head - Sushumna. It corresponds with the coiled snake used in Indian and Hindu symbolism.
Symbolically, the energy unleashed by the kundalini experience is represented as a sort of sleeping serpent, coiled up at the base of the spine ready to rear up and strike the brain! Kundalini literally means coiled energy. In yoga, this form of dormant energy is envisioned as a goddess and resides in the sacrum “in three and a half coils - it has been described as a residual power of pure desire”.
When Saint George fought the dragon - depending on who was describing the story - it could mean that he was fighting his demons, the religious approach to explaining the story - or it could mean he was trying to have a controlled kundalini experience!
Dragons are traditionally found in caves and dungeons because the energy stored for this experience is at the base of the spine [in the Chinese system in the Lower Dan Tien].
There is another symbol related to this one - the Dragon's kiss.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Athanasius Kircher - Ars Magna Lucis 1665 #016082
- Aurora consurgens - 10 An allegory of Conjunction #016064
- Babylon - The Ishtar Gate 01 #022115
- Babylon - The Ishtar Gate 02 #022116
- Babylon - The Ishtar Gate 03 #022117
- Beowulf - Stealing the Dragon's treasure hoard #000137
- Beowulf - Treasure #004869
- Beowulf - Encounter with the Dragon guarding the Treasure #004866
- Beowulf - Fighting the reptile fish #017130
- Beowulf - The Terror of the Dragon #000325
- Beowulf - The lost treasure #004868
- Borgund stavkirke #017159
- Bromo-Dragonfly - Last Time I'll Ever Try It- - by eVitamite #017352
- Bruno, Giordano – On Magic - The Music of the Spheres #016081
- Buch der heiligen Dreifaltigkeit 15th century #016102
- Buch der heiligen Dreifaltigkeit 15th century #016103
- Böcklin, Arnold - Roger and Angélique 1874 #024389
- Crowley, Aleister - Book of Lies - The Dragon Flies #012912
- Dürer, Albrecht - Religious works - Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse #020941
- Fleetwood Mac - Dragonfly #021538
- H Reussner - Pandora Basle 1582 #016101
- Had scratches and cuts from where she had been trying to get the creature/hand off #014424
- Hawkes, Jacquetta - Symbols and Speculations - Instruments #021778
- Hokusai - The Dragon of Smoke escaping from Mount Fuji #007633
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Egg and the Labyrinth #006626
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Maze #002332
- Khunrath, Heinrich - Amphitheatrum sapientiae aeterna 1602 #016039
- Lethbridge, T C - A Step in the Dark – The dragonfly #021917
- Lethbridge, T C - Ghost and Ghoul - Dragonfly #021777
- Li Ho - Lament That the Days Are So Short #012865
- Maier, Michael - Atalanta fugiens 1618 #016065
- Maier, Michael - Atalanta fugiens 1618 #016099
- Maier, Michael - Atalanta fugiens 1618 #016100
- Masters and Houston - Becoming animals #007130
- Mayan - Popol Vuh - 08 The Story of Blood Moon #011658
- Myōe – The Dream of Shanmiao #021387
- Ovid - Metamorphoses - Jason and Medea [extract] #012783
- Poetic Edda - The Prophecy of Grípir [extract] #008226
- Ripley, Sir George - Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum London 1652 #016048
- Saint Brendan - 09 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015596
- Songs of Valley Spirit 03 #016754
- The Lotus Sutra - 11 Devadatta - 1 The Dragon Girl #023888
- The Manuals of Taoist Sexual Practise – Joining Yin and Yang 02 #017849
- The Manuals of Taoist Sexual Practise – Talk on Supreme Guidance for the World 10 #017862
- The Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine - Key 03 #016006
- Through the Looking Glass - Ch 03 - 3 The Gnat #002247
- Various symbolic objects - Kudurrus #022127