Symbols - What does heaven look like
Tambourines originated in Mesopotamia, Middle East, India, Greece and Rome, and were mainly used in religious contexts. The tambourine combines a large amount of symbolic meaning. First it is a drum – and drums are used to invoke spiritual experience. It also has bells which have their own symbolic meaning. The shape is of the Egg.
Furthermore the bells are ranged round the rim of the tambourine corresponding, if we compare the map below, to spiritual islands. Put simply a tambourine when played like a drum is symbolically and literally a means for achieving out of body experiences in the Egg.
World map “Chroniques de Saint Denis’ produced
The Greek vase shows the symbolism well as it combines wings, thyrsus, nakedness and the tambourine
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Hafez of Shiraz - Thirty Poems - The rose has come into the garden #001737
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Leda and the Swan #008159
- M A Czaplicka - Siberian magic #001185
- Mirabai - Today your Hari is coming #017285
- Odetta - Mr. Tambourine Man #022536
- Rubens - The drunken Hercules #010583
- Samuel 10 #003373
- Waterhouse, John William - After the Dance #006320