Symbols - What does heaven look like
The pomegranate with its innumerable seeds is a favourite symbol for the Atom and Matrix and its functions. Blood and hence the colour red is symbolic of energy, so we have a perfect symbol, an atom or the Egg - universe with its programmed functions all neatly stored like they are in the bubble memory of computers, surrounded and constructed from 'energy'.
Hypnerotomachia Poliphili – Francesca Colonna [translated by Joscelyn Godwin]
The golden pomegranates were split wide open, and in place of seeds there were bright rubies glowing beyond compare, and as large as beans. Then the ingenious artisan of this inestimable work, out of fertile imagination, had separated the seeds with a membrane made from thin silver leaf. In addition, he had realistically made some of the split pomegranates showing immature seeds, which he had made exquisitely from large pearls of orient whiteness. Then again, he had cleverly imitated the pomegranate flowers in perfect coral, with their calyxes full of golden bees.
Pomegranates were woven into the robes worn by Hebrew High priests and are also mythologically said to have been found on the capitals of King Soloman’s temple. The pomegranate is also one of the few images which appear on ancient coins of Judea as a holy symbol, and today many Torah scrolls are stored while not in use with a pair of decorative hollow silver "pomegranates" placed over the two upper scroll handles.
Exodus 28:32-34 (New International Version)
33 Make pomegranates of blue, purple and scarlet yarn around the hem of the robe, with gold bells between them.
34 The gold bells and the pomegranates are to alternate around the hem of the robe.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Caravaggio - Basket of fruit #002636
- Cirlot on pomegranates #001708
- Dali - Dream caused by the flight of a bee #004607
- Eleusinian Mysteries - Thesmophoria - The Pomegranate seeds #016289
- Homer - The Odyssey - The Garden of Alcinous #013379
- Hufaidh #010241
- Joel 1:11 #000134
- Kings 7 - The Temple, Jachin and Boaz #007374
- Leighton, Frederick Lord #001709
- Rider-Waite - 2 High Priestess #007486
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Prosperine #001710
- Saint Brendan - 10 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015600
- Song of Solomon 4 #008135
- Song of Solomon 6 #008137
- Song of Solomon 7 #008138
- Song of Solomon 8 #008139
- Spencer, Stanley - Symbolism 19 - The Lovers (The Dustman) #019405
- The Homeric Hymn to Demeter - 03 #016204